Schizophrenia.com

Trouble Controlling Impulses

An hour ago I went on Walmart.com and ordered 24 cans of whole tomatoes. :tomato:

1 Like

Don’t do it anymore. You realize that these cans will be sitting in your house taking up space for a LOT of months or even a year. I fell into the same trap but I’m doing better. I really got into stocking up and buying food in bulk. But I realized something that stopped me from doing it needlessly. Buying in bulk is supposed to relieve stress. If you buy 24 cans of something it means you don’t have to worry about shopping for that particular item for months.But it actually CAUSES stress when you have to look at it every day taking up space knowing you can’t use them up. I bought cleaning supplies in bulk. 5 bottles of 409 cleaner, 10 cans of Comet cleanser, 10 cans of air freshener, etc. I was so proud that I saved money. I live in a small space and I have now been looking at these things taking up valuable space for three years. Literally. Sure, every 5 months when I use one up, it is nice to reach in and have one on hand instead of a trip to the store. But if you are ordering online it makes more sense to buy ONE bottle every 5 months. And you can still shop sales when it gets close to being empty. I realize your problem is impulse control but it is manageable. SOME things are good to buy in bulk, but you need to be smart about your shopping. By the way, canned goods can expire too. So can deodorants, shampoos, toothpaste etc. I just had to throw out 3 containers of deodorant that had expired. And I have 3 cans of shaving cream I will never use in time.

1 Like

Hey BakedBeans, is it too late to go on Walmart.com and cancel some of those cans of tomatoes? When I shop on Safeway.com they give me a few hours to edit my order after I initially place it.

Just checked my VISA giftcard transaction. The order was processed at 5:39 PM. According to Walmart.com Tuesday is the delivery date.

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

Can you change it?..

If all else fails make lots of spaghetti sauce and freeze it.

1 Like

LOL you could be doing worse things than buying too many tomatoes. Like cocaine or heroin. But seriously I limit myself to “one at a time” except with portions of protein. Two or three at a time, three times a day.

If I were to follow my impulses I would be asking random people out at inappropriate places at inappropriate times. Like a random guy or girl at a grocery store. Or go grab someones ass, that would get me in trouble for sure. I have been to a gay club and been dirty, sure, but I never just molest people. I ask permission.

But yeah I resist impulses that are ■■■■■■ up, not so much things like buying tons of food. I eat tons of food so yeah whenever I go to the store I grab as much stuff as I can carry. Or buy an energy drink whenever I am at the gas station. Cant say no to 50g of sugar, 160mg of caffeine and a racing heartbeat!

:signal_strength:

1 Like

I should know this but when it says ‘processed’, that means it’s already been charged to the card and can’t be changed. Right?

Correct. :credit_card:

Tuesday is :tomato: :tomato: day.

1 Like

no permanent damage done…i’ll bet the tomatoes go faster than you realize…hang tough

1 Like

Maybe you can do a search online for tomato recipes. Off the top of my head, tomato soup or homemade salsa.

One idea.

Black Bean Salsa Recipe

READY IN 8+ hrs

Black Bean Salsa

Recipe by REBECKAH MACFIE

“This is a wonderful salsa!! It is full of black beans, corn, tomatoes, and onion. I can never make enough when I have a party!! Chill 24 hours before serving if you have time!! Serve with tortilla chips.”

Original recipe makes 5 cups Change Servings

3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained

2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, partially drained

2 tomatoes, diced

2 bunches green onions, chopped

cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together black beans, Mexican-style corn, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, tomatoes and green onion stalks. Garnish with desired amount of cilantro leaves. Chill in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.
2 Likes

Google 'Tomato recipes"

You could also make spaghetti sauce. What were you thinking of making when you placed your order?

Hmmm… Some baked ziti and chicken Parmesan.

I’m very curious…how did the deodorant go bad? Shaving cream too??

I use those sell by dates as a guide, not a rule…I usually look at the item, and if it doesn’t have a personality of it’s own, it’s probably fine.
I lived with my grandfather for a bit when I was 13 and learned a lot of very practical things that still make sense today. He raised a family during the great depression (1929-1945) and he made use of everything, plus there were no “expiration dates” as we know now. You just didn’t waste food because it wasn’t perfect, even sour milk was put into great tasting cakes. Food was grown and canned (in jars, not metal cans) and he hunted for meat that filled the freezer- and we ate every bit of it.
You can be safe by discarding things immediately after their due date, but if you are cautious and use common sense, you’d be surprised at just how long after somethings expire it is still good to eat.

Heat up a can and dice up the tomatoes. Leave them in the juice. Add some cheese whiz and maybe garlic powder and oregano. It is so good!

Yes, a website online said the same thing. It explained the difference between “best by” and “use by” and “expiration date” and “sell by”. And the article did list specific items that can be used long after they have expired. I can’t think of any right off-hand. My deodorant turned watery and was not working. It expired in 2012. I actually meant ‘shaving gel’. I guess it MIGHT be OK. But it turned into foam and it is also a few years old. I bought several cans on sale but then I got an electric shaver and the cans sat in my cubbard for a couple years.
Yeah my dad was a kid during the Great Depression. He knew what POOR was.

Both of my parents were kids during the depression too, my dad used to say “If I had to pay a nickle to go somewhere, I couldn’t get outta sight”

Check and see what their return policy is. You may be able to take them back to a local store and return it with a copy of your online receipt.

2 Likes