Trophy wife

Thank you, @Bowens,

I appreciate the ideas.

2 Likes

A work from home job would be a good start
I really like call center jobs you can sit in a chair all day and talk on the phone simple and im sure there are remote positions available through indeed

2 Likes

You could maybe being an English tutor and help students on a low income for low charge. You could do it online or at home, but i would just do what you do and support your partner being successful.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I should teach or tutor.

Honestly, I barely got through school and English is a pretty easy degree.

And I was wasted 24/7 in school.

I don’t think I’m in a place to mentor someone else as far as knowledge (in this field) goes.

1 Like

What did you use to write, @Charles_Foster ?

1 Like

Glad it wasn’t just me.

:fist_right::fist_left:

2 Likes

Medical pamphlets.

Super exciting, huh?

I’ve got a lot of stories written that I’m trying to formulate into something.

Been working on it for years and years.

Someday I may make some money on it, but who knows?

2 Likes

I second the editing idea. I could send writers your way when I can’t take on any. In fact, I have a regular client that would be needing someone soon, I bet.

3 Likes

Thanks, @anon4362788.

I’ll consider that.

May be a good option for me.

4 Likes

Sounds like you do a lot of work at home. Cooking saves money. Cleaning is a job.

But i understand needing more money.

Hope you can manage - do you get disability?

I do not get disability.

I’m like so few credits away.

I’d have to work a few months in order to get approved.

1 Like

I know that your current aim is to earn some greenbacks, but you could pair up with a graphic artist and create cartoons, or even animated gifs that could be branded (have you heard of NFT s? They’re all the rage right now). You provide stories and/or texts, they draw. Or perhaps you can draw yourself (I’ve no idea what your talents are, tbh).

Why am I saying that?

You already clean and cook, which are menial jobs. Editing is fine, but erring a bit on the menial side too. Writing or, more generally, creating something that people appreciate will help you in more ways that you could imagine. You get to practice your creative skills, you entertain people, you get acclaimed, you earn money, you feel good about yourself etc.

1 Like

I disagree - cooking cleaning is real work.

Maybe you can cook meals service or work as a cleaner.

But still I’m not able to manage an outside job. I was a graphic designer 20 years. It’s not the skill i lack. Its managing symptoms is impossible on the job. And too much stress working with people on the phone email even freelancing for me. I tried.

3 Likes

Wow. That was totally me as well. Looking back I cannot believe how messed up I was.

I think about going back to school a lot. If not just to finish a degree, to stimulate my mind.

During my last years of school I was drunk quite a bit and on various opiates.

Thank goodness for good Health and Mental Clarity. I am Horrified looking back and seeing myself like that.

1 Like

I’ve got a friend doing just that.

2 Likes

I don’t think its “work” per se. House work is work. I think you need to be careful about the TYPE of work you apply for. Figure out what your capable of and do that, even if it has no status, if you can do it and get paid for it, then its a start.

Baby steps.

I started out just doing side jobs here and there. Cut the neighbours grass, helped them with their computer problems. from there I got some actual business clients I helped. I did those things extremely part time, maybe working once or twice a month for an hour or two. I did that for 5 years. That built up my confidence in dealing with people and doing a good job at work so I applied for a real job to be a delivery driver (low status easy job) and worked part time 6-8 hour shifts. I’ve been doing that for 1.5 years. That built my confidence further, so I applied to work at a global tech firm and they hired me and that is going super well. The work is sporadic because I’m new building up my client base, but the money for each job is fantastic. I have 2 great reviews on the companies official review site from clients I’ve serviced.

I now work 2 official jobs, but it wasn’t always that way. I went about 10 years without working AT ALL.

You remind me of me 7 years ago. Just start out slow and grow.

2 Likes

I agree with @Kxev . There is nothing at all wrong with doing “menial” things to earn money. If you need the money there is no shame in it.

And I don’t consider editing a menial job either. @Andrey , writing is a tough gig to make money at. It’s fine and all to try but there are vast numbers of talented writers on Amazon books and kindle who make almost nothing. It’s great to dream and all. and its great to put in the effort and try, but when you need the money, practicality is an issue as well.

2 Likes

@Kxev I’m not downplaying the importance of cleaning or cooking. Heck, you can even great creative in the kitchen. But doing it all day, every day can suck the life out of anyone, in time. I was simply suggesting something that can be done from the comfort of one’s home, with little to no prior experience, based on the skill @Charles_Foster mentioned, which is writing.

I’m sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you yet. I’ve failed at several jobs too. Stress got the better of me.
But since @Charles_Foster wants to try, I’m not gonna point out every little thing that could go wrong twenty miles down the road :blush:

1 Like

@Bowens, where did I ever use the word “shame” ?!
No work is shameful, except (arguably) mercenary or hitman.

I bet there’s competition on the editing/proofwriting/ghostwriting etc market too.

All I did was mention NFTs which imho have great potential nowadays, and the fact that using one’s creativity brings several benefits besides money.

I just offered a different perspective. Sorry if I came across as condescending or worse (:fearful:)

1 Like

I’m feeling really called out right now!

:flushed:

2 Likes