Triggering talk

We had a long discussion at work today. It was about values. The talk went to people saying things like end times and values being the same for ages and now changing incredibly fast the last few years and all that. I’m not delusional, but still I’m always a little uncomfortable after such talks.

So…does anybody have arguments for me against this? Or arguments that calm my fears?

Please no comments that increase the creepy feelings!

(On second account I’m not sure if this topic is allowed, because it might change into a religious topic, which isnt acceptable here… mods?!)

I dont believe in God but I believe in guardian angels. Spirits or beings that protect you from harm.

Seems like the people at work were just talking trash. I stay away from horror movies myself.

Values aren’t really changing, people are just divided right now for a lot of reasons. I can’t talk about it without breaking forum rules though I think. Long story short there’s a civil rights movement still going on for the LGBT community and that’s part of the reason you hear “oh our values are changing so much these days” from old people.

3 Likes

Lol it’s kinda political and religious talk but if you don’t want an answer geared in that direction, I would form your own decisions don’t let people on such emotional topics totally run wild their opinions in your head. I usually consider anyone’s rational opinion but if they start acting irrational they lose a lot of credit in my mind.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it was the “end times” about 10 times in my lifetime. Every time they’re wrong, so they just push the date forward. How convenient.

It wasn’t the “end times” then, and it’s not the “end times” now.

2 Likes

Thanks you guys. I don’t intend to steer it into a religious or political direction. But this subject of course is easily touching on that. Sorry for that, i posted a bit impulsively.

What kind of caught me off guard, was that a few people that I see as highly rational, intellectual, down to earth people were making these arguments. I normally avoid such topics because it triggers scary thoughts, but now I couldn’t walk out.

I think the fight over certain subjects might indeed arouse such feelings in people. They werent specifically talking about LGBT rights btw.

2 Likes

These stupid issues are making it hard to enjoy anything a lot of days.

There are questions I have which don’t seem like can get answered because everything has turned into taboo subjects since it triggers people.

Well great.

Let’s not discuss the possibility of there being no more farming in 60 years or so?

That’s not important?

Is everything really just going to …

1 Like

Christians have been saying its the end times forever.

I remember them scaring me when I was little,

Telling me about the horrors ahead.

Its never happened and it probably won’t.

We’ll probably kill ourselves with global warming and over population way before a vengeful god can get to us.

1 Like

Yeah I still think the whole end times fad was triggered by the meter rolling over from 1999 to 2000. That really freaked people out, we had Y2K and the whole 2012 scare, bunch of nonsense over numerics. We just happened to start measuring 2000 years ago, if we had started 500 years before that it’d be 2519 and nobody would be talking about endtimes anymore IMO.

I personally think we’re good until like 2500 at least.

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but on second account I don’t think it is a good subject for this forum and for me. I kind of hoped to keep it non-triggering by specifically asking for that. But I just did a bit of reflection and think this topic is better closed.

I think you guys are right and people have been talking about end times for ages. Literally. And even if there are end times of whatever kind coming, religious or environmental or whatever, nobody really benefits if I sit here behind my pc having creepy thoughts about that. :slight_smile:

Can one of the mods please close it? @anon9798425, @jayster, @Ninjastar?

2 Likes