Schizophrenia.com

Tried hard to be a freelancer

I don’t want to totally rely on my husband so tried to do some freelance work. I have two possible work to do: writing or doing graphic design for the fabric producers in my home town. I have some good experience in publishing books but now when I tried to conceive a book I found it’s difficult for me to complete such a huge project as my attention span is very short so that it’s hard for me to sink deep and focus on some details…And then I think I might have gift in graphic designing as I am so sensitive to colors and shapes and have accumulated a lots of knowledge of the patterns of the mix of color and shapes…So I started to learn how to use Photoshop. But gosh, the operation of Photoshop is so complex and I have so much to learn…I felt overwhelmed by the information and knowledge contained in Photoshop.

I was frustrated. Maybe I am no longer fit for learning new things due to this mental illness?

That’s awesome you want to be more independent! There are a lot of people who are mentally ill that stay dependent because they are just too sick to hope for more. So pat yourself on the back. It sounds like you are picking huge tasks to approach. Can you take a class on Photoshop? At least that way you could learn it in a structured way. Something that helps me when I’m facing a big task, like a project for school, is to first break it down into small steps and then only concentrate on one task at a time. I use this as a coping skill as well. When my symptoms are overwhelming me I break tasks down and only concentrate on one thing at a time. For instance, I get a lot of my symptoms at night and have to close the house up and go to bed. So I first shut the windows, then lock the doors, and then turn off the lights.

Don’t put yourself down thinking you can no longer learn new things. You’re just approaching big tasks. Do you work with a therapist? They could really help and put things in perspective. Good luck and stay strong! :sunny:

1 Like

Photoshop is a very powerful piece of software. It would take anyone time to learn to use it. Don’t worry, it’s not just you.

3 Likes

Try Adobe Illustator its easier to use than Photoshop and is an industry standard like Photoshop

Thank you, sungirl, Malvok and Koolbreeze for your positive comments. I will still have a try maybe by breaking the task into small pieces. I have started reading the introduction and get an overview of its structure and functions.

2 Likes