Treatment in the young person's own environment better than conventional care

Young people with mental problems - especially those with psychotic-like symptoms - should receive help as early as possible and in their own environment. This was the conclusion of a joint study of the University of Helsinki, the Helsinki University Hospital Department of Psychiatry and the National Institute for Health and Welfare.

The purpose of the study was to determine the effectiveness of treatment provided to young people seeking help for psychiatric symptoms by comparing the conventional youth psychiatric treatment offered by the Helsinki University Hospital to early intervention at home and at school involving the treated person’s family and a network of close people. The latter model was tested in the JERI (Jorvi Early Psychosis Recognition and Intervention) project, which emphasised the importance of initiating treatment without delay and reducing the concrete, pressing stress factors in the young person’s life.

2 Likes

in australia things are heading in that direction. :earth_asia:
take care :alien:

I’m surprised I survived growing up with schizophrenia and zero help from anyone for it, after reading that.

I think it would depend how healthy the home environment was. If one agrees with the “trauma causes psychosis” school of thought then one might think the own environment might not always be conducive to better treatment.

1 Like

This is a very good point and I agree with it 100%. I don’t think that all mental illness is caused by trauma, but I am convinced that if you are genetically vulnerable and get abused as a child, you’re probably going to develop it. My whole family tree is just one big abuse/illness cascade that seems to work that way.

I don’t blame my home environment for my SZ, but it sure as hell wouldn’t have helped in the treatment of it.

There are those whose lives will cease to have meaning of the opposite is proved out.

Pixel.

I am doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better living on my own, than I was at my grandma’s madhouse of sound.

1 Like