Torrey's Predictors of Prognosis for Sz

Predictors of Sz Prognosis

“Better” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . “Worse”

Normal “no problems” childhood . . . . . . . . . . . . .Problematic childhood

Female . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Male

No family history of sz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Family history of sz

Older age at onset of symptoms . . . . . . . . . . . . . Younger age of onset

Sudden onset of symptoms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gradual onset

Paranoid OR catatonic symptoms . . . . . . . . . . . . . Negative symptoms

Normal range of emotions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . “Flattened” emotions

Good awareness of illness and symptoms . . . . . . .Poor awareness of…

Normal CT and/or MRI scans . . . . . . . . . . . . Unusual CT or MRI scans

Positive initial response to medication . . . . . . . . .Poor initial response…

From…

The “Worse things” that fit me: Problematic childhood, male, family history, young age at onset, flattened emotions, unusual MRI, and poor response to meds. As to the others, I fit in in the “Better” categories. The past 4 or 5 months have shown progress, but the meds thing is still an open battle. Doing the 20 mg of Stelazine thing now. The only APs I haven’t been on are Orap, Latuda, Vraylar, and Rexulti. Of the other US-approved APs, I’ve been on them all. Who knows what it’s done to my brain.

Pretty much all the worse things fit me.

But I think my prognosis is pretty good.

I’m lucky.

1 Like

I stopped drinking the Torrey “kool-aid” after I cracked a few more books that counter what he and his medical model cadre have to say about the subject. The debate is certainly not closed on anything in that list.

That list you gave is refutable. I would like to point out one area in particular: fMRI or MRI or CT scans are very controversial, they are grasping at straws, you can read about how and why in several places, but you have to crack other books and actually do research rather than fall in lock step.

I know the founder of this website is really worked up about that book however.

1 Like

I meet half of them for better and half for worse.

But I do so well, isn’t that odd? I think it’s the die hard attitude I have about what I sign up for. When I commit, it’s on like donkey kong.

2 Likes

watch out, nintendo might charge a fee for you saying that

Sheesh. When I lived near Baltimore, some dipshit trademarked the word “Hon’” which many people there use as an affectionate way of referring to another. She named her restaurant “Hon,” and was very bossy about it. She was a real pain in the ass.

1 Like

According to that I have a bad prognosis but I’ve done relatively OK despite it.

Because you did something to change that prognosis? Those who believe they are “cursed” by a list like this would very much like to hear from you, I am sure.

1 Like

And what books are those? (Well?)

Perhaps that is with good reason. Have you actually read the book? (Or any other?)

Your historic pattern of contrary negativism does precede you, ya know.

I just respond very well to medication. Not only that but I have no side-affects from my abilify which enables to me to go on a very high dosage with no side-affects. I’m lucky. And I take therapy very seriously, whether it’s group or individual. That helps also.

2 Likes

Thank you. (Not sure I will rest my case yet, but my own evidence is just about identical to yours after finally getting on the right med back when it was a lot more hunt-and-peck than it is now.)

I’ve written often of how severe my case was in the beginning and of .my accomplishments afterward

And thank you very much for so doing. Some here need to hear from those who have climbed at least part of the way out of the box. (To counter what they hear from those who believe they are “trapped forever.”)

I’m far from “all” the way out. But I keep trudging.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good luck in your trudging.

1 Like