Told my future employer my diagnosis

I started the conversation with my future employer (Belgian Department of Finance) about wanting to work part-time because of my disability.

A person from the HR department contacted me to find out more about where I could fit in. I told her I had a psychotic vulnerability (psychosegevoeligheid) which is here the euphemism for sz, and that the main risk is me becoming ill because of too much stress.

She’s going to call me in the next couple of days to discuss in depth. The good news is that I can work part-time if my manager agrees and that I can combine it with my benefits if the advising doctor of social security agrees.

I got my work cut out.

19 Likes

Congratulations dude :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sounds really positive that you have started the conversation with them.

Wishing you the best of luck!

:four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Nice job, Jonathan!! It sounds to me like you’ve got a good chance of getting this job. You make them sound supportive and understanding of your disability.

1 Like

I formally passed the selection tests which are organized by an independent department, and I had a high ranking. So, basically I have the job. However, I need to find a manager who’s willing to accommodate me and allow me to work part-time, mostly from home,…

So now the hard conversations start.

One upside. The department of finance has a target of hiring 3% disabled people. Currently they only have 1%. So they need me as well as I need them.

3 Likes

I find it mind blowing every time I see people from other countries who have employee rights. Super jealous.

5 Likes

We have employee rights in America. It just seems like corporate America has learned how to weasel their way around them.

5 Likes

I tried to get a job at a grocery store working 15 hours per week. The job was for 24 hours per week. The manager literally said to me, “come back when you’re no longer disabled”. I kid you not

2 Likes

That’s just awful. You could technically sue them for that comment.

3 Likes

That’s plain ignorant like someone in a wheelchair is suddenly going to start to run. Maybe he was a miracle healer after hours.

2 Likes

Yeah. What’s really stupid is they’re desperate for help. I was willing to work but need limited hours. If they didn’t turn away people so easily they wouldn’t have such a shortage

3 Likes

Here, in the restaurant sector, employers pay poorly and work is hard, so they found themselves like idiots with a shortage of manpower.
(Since the end of the pandemic, there’s much more work for people so they can retrain better than before.

3 Likes

Well done @Jonathan2 !

2 Likes

I just had my conversation with HR. I asked for part-time work in the afternoon. She said that she’s going to try to find a ‘people manager’ who is willing to accommodate me. But she thought it was doable. She said my best chances were in the Fiscality department.

She said in the past sometimes it had gone wrong with disabled people Bacause they had the wrong manager. We are going to try to avoid that stumbling block.

1 Like

I hope it works out well for you. Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.