Today is 'Coming out day'

I love trans girls but i still see myself as straight

2 Likes

Wow! That felt good I’m sure! I’m glad you were able to help a friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a question, were you born gay or is it a choice that you made? I know my neice is gay and I remember her being quite and shy. I never remember her showing any interest in boys. I myself am not gay but I think that it’s a good thing to come out if you are.

2 Likes

I think the politically correct answer is that you are born gay. I really don’t know though. When I realized I was gay it explained what was different about me, and I felt at peace with myself.

1 Like

Nobody can choose to be gay.
Some discover they’re gay later in life, some know early on.

1 Like

not trying to be rude maybe i dont understand but i dont see the point in publicly coming out. why tell a bunch of people about your sexual identity/preference, it is personal

I agree that romantic/sexual preferences should be on a need to know basis. But what I came out with is a gender identity, and in order to transition I will at some point need to change my name and my appearance. I did what I did to soften the blow, so there wouldn’t be a huge shock if I do one day get a new passport or have surgeries or hormonal treatments.

Also because I want as many people as possible to know they should call me Miika, not my birth name.

3 Likes

Is @Miika a Finnish name or is it also used in other Scandinavian countries?

1 Like

It’s a lesser known variant of the Finnish name Mika.
It all comes down to pronounciation. With the english sounds, Mika sounds “myk-kah” while Miika is more “Mee-ka”

2 Likes

I have an uncle named Michael, but he grew up in Sweden where Mille is a nickname for Michael.
Funny enough my sister is also called Mille, short for Emilie

2 Likes

I also have a relation named Michael. We are German. I love the German pronunciation of that name. It’s so cool.

Though in our family we say Makkel for short lol

2 Likes

People should feel comfortable being themselves every day. It’s sad that a day has to be set aside.

4 Likes

I think it’s nice that there’s a day for it.
Some people, like me, need that extra push and the excuse it provides. “It’s coming out day so I might as well”
Keeps people from asking “why now?”

4 Likes

I hear you and I support it. I just wish people wouldn’t question it.

4 Likes
1 Like

Me too. In an ideal world, people should be free to ask for proper pronouns without having to weight the pros and cons.

1 Like

This happened to me, except replace gay with Schizophrenic.

That’s what scares me most, as one of the things I keep close to me is my diagnosis, so coming out as gay I would worry I’d get the same reaction. I cannot afford to lose any more people from my life, otherwise I will have nobody

People who call themselves friends, yet are willing to leave you that quickly really aren’t your friends.
Love shouldn’t be conditional.

2 Likes

I am not sure if it’s because of where I live, but being gay in my town is not accepted as much as other places.

My step-brother is gay, and he moved out of this town because he used to get harassed so much and beaten up for his sexual orientation

Also, I have no reason to come out as I am yet to find a partner

2 Likes

A lot of folks now make their preferred pronouns part of their email signature. This is becoming more common place at my workplace, for example.

1 Like