To delay death, lift weights

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-delay-death-lift-weights?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sorry I don’t know how to post articles with previews on my phone…

5 Likes

That’s depressing as I’ll never do strength training. Good article though.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t mean for it to upset anyone.

1 Like

I know someone who’s 100. Still lifts weights.

1 Like

I’m joking ! I’m not depressed about it. There’s a lot of things exercise wise I should do actually.

3 Likes

The author of this book is a NASA fitness researcher who trains astronauts. He maintains that most of the bio things that go wrong as we age are because of loss of muscle mass.

2 Likes

Loss of muscle mass is one reason I chose to go on testosterone injections. I’m doing everything I can to fight aging. I want to be able to exercise till I’m an old man. It is really the only hobby I have and it makes me feel good.

1 Like

Preach

2 Likes

I want to jog again.
I don’t like weight training.
Jogging gives u lean muscle too since it tones u

1 Like

Being strong comes in handy in many situations. I’m 58 and I only started losing strength five years ago. I can still lift heavy things despite having a bad back but it sure ain’t like when I was a teenager or in my twenties. When I was a teenager I was close to my friends but being stronger was about the only power I had over my friends. But yeah, I lifted weights a lot and did a lot of physical work.

1 Like

I hurt myself lifting tiny, 3 lb. weights so, I don’t want to go there again.

Have you read it? That’s interesting. I’ve often thought similar things.

Yes, I’ve read it. It says that typical things like insulin resistance, hypertension, regulation of body temperature etc etc are mostly down to muscle mass.

I’d love to, but my shoulders ain’t what they used to be.

1 Like

You could try resistance bands, they help with strength and flexibility.

Have about ten of them. Resistance is resistance is resistance. My right shoulder especially still grinds and screams at me. Can’t do much about a joint that needs surgery other than avoid using the joint.

1 Like

I know that I am less sensitive to hot and cold after I exercise. I also think I think better after exercise, and feel more calm.