To bust the stigma of mental illness, is it better to be upfront about your struggles or downplay them?

Well when I first started my blog I was obsessed with this man who I believed was following me and I believed my voices were the result of being hexed/Santeria. At first, I would blog what the voices were saying. I thought it made for an interesting blog, if you enjoy creepiness. The voices told a story. The only thing I regret was trying to convince everyone it was real. I promoted my blog a few places on-line and now they come up in a Google search of my name. I could never get a job now if anyone searched my name. All this weird stuff comes up about my Santeria blog if you Google my name. I also have children and do not want them to read my blog.

I’ve wondered that myself about certain jobs,

but it’s worth the risk, and you need a way to express yourself honestly.
Did you feel you were in danger, that guy following you?

1 Like

Well I might have something called Erotomania, where I believe this man loves me. I was more scared of his real-life wife and her two friends. I believed that his wife was jealous of our connection. In actuality, this man may not know I have feelings for him nor does he have any feelings for me. He is married. It is drama, I know. I still think I see him driving around my neighborhood but things have calmed down a lot. The voices have calmed down now that I am on Vraylar.

2 Likes

psychosis and schizophrenia do not have a lot of stigma. people call it to themselves. If you do not find yourself a full-fledged person and sensitive then you should ask yourself whether it is by yourself or by your environment. gay poeple have more stigma.

It is only true that if you have misbehaved during a psychosis. That people blame you. But then you just have to give them time and eventually they’ll forgive you. peaceeee

2 Likes

i think its dood to be open about sz…I tell all myself

1 Like

Lol @shutterbug you are the one i got that from… might not be in your exact words tho…

I live in a senior retirement community and I am completely silent and secretive about the nature and name of my ailment to everybody in this community. I am sza and nobody here knows it except the administrator and the facility R.N. I was told by the administration that my diagnosis would not go over well with the residents here. So, I am mum.

Wow @SkinnyMe I might take that the wrong way and look elsewhere to live but I go weeks without talking about my issues with my normie family and friends. They don’t get it and they would rather talk about other things anyway.

People don’t want to hear about other people’s problems, not most of the time, and especially not ALL of the time. That’s just life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the loosely thrown around term ‘recovery’ for mental illness is a way they try to destigmatize mental illness by having ppl believe everyone recovers, but many dont realize that for a large precentage u dont recover in the traditional sense but u become better adjusted. This ‘recovery’ thing may propogate a myth

1 Like

I get it. I am saying my normie friends would rather talk about their own problems. I am getting leaned on big time by a friend who is going through a divorce. What do I look like? A psychiatrist?

I don’t know i think different people like different things. I like memoirs and dramas and movies based on true stories. so i guess i do like hearing about problems to a degree. but when people visit we do talk about what we have been doing and other things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.