Time to pick myself up and dust myself off

I got word today that I didn’t make it in to the nursing program I was hoping to go into.

I have the grades, and the CPR/ First aid back ground, but not some of the classes.

I had the personal statements, the transcripts, the recommendations from my employer, the volunteer hours, but I don’t have any job shadowing.

Plus I was told that I was very young. So I’ll dust myself off, keep studying and I’ll apply again and again- and again.

Like my big brother says, “One only truly fails when they give up”

9 Likes

“No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That’s the only way to keep the roads clear.”
― Greg Kincaid

5 Likes

Yes - keep it up. Generally it sounds like the news was good - you’ve got lots of good attributes, you’re just short a few classes. Not a big issue… just work on the few additional classes you need.

5 Likes

Yes, you do not seem like the type to give up so easily - good for you kidsister - keep walking forward - :sunny:

3 Likes

A hiccup on the road to success is just that, a hiccup. I don’t doubt for a second that you can and will do this! You’re amazing :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I had to wait a year to get into my program too. Which now I’m glad for. I got my prerequisites taken care of and am feeling better. Don’t give up on your dream. Maybe give CNA or HHA a try for experience.

5 Likes

Nursing programs are usually highly competitive. You’re applying along with people who have been LPNs, CNAs, medical assistants, and EMTs for many years. Obviously, previous healthcare experience carries a lot of weight in the awarding of a seat in the program.

Some people get trained as a CNA and work in either long term care facilities or non-acute wards in hospitals while they’re working on their prereq’s. This is a great way to bulk up your application.

Keep working on your dream. Don’t let one setback discourage you. You can get accepted, and I think you’ll make a great nurse!

Blessings,

Anthony

4 Likes

A certificate in EMT might increase your chances next year.

https://northseattle.edu/certificates/emergency-medical-technician-emt

3 Likes

You are SO young! Keep trying-you will make it Xoxo

1 Like

My sister is a nurse. She makes good money and has some interesting nursing stories.

I didn’t know your sis was a nurse! That’s awesome! How long has she been practicing? And what specialty does she work in, if you don’t mind me asking?

You’re lucky to have a nurse on your side :wink:

Blessings,

Anthony

She’s been a nurse for about 12 years. She works at a place called Job Core. I don’t know if this place is only in California.
It’s basically a place for young people from about 17-25 to live and be trained to work. She helps the students there if they have physical health problems or psychological problems. Lots of drama.

perhaps this time is a blessing so that you can do something for yourself, before you dedicate the rest of your life to caring for others.
you’ll get there, any place would be lucky to have you, you are a gem.
take care

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Job Core before. I think that would be a neat area to practice in. Although there certainly are unique problems with caring for that age group.

I’m sure with teens, she has a lot of dramatic stories! One of my good friends is a gastroenterology nurse practitioner, and some of the stories she’s told me are very twisted to say the least lol. Just imagine the GI tract and foreign objects is all I’ll say lol.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

There’s a lots of drug issues, stealing, a little violence, people faking illnesses, people from broken homes, people who ran the streets. Gang activity. She works on the east side of town. Not a very nice place.

Thank you all for the boost in the arm of encouragement.

@BakedBeans, I have been looking into North Seattle’s EMT program. It’s full this year, so I would be on the wait list. There are at least 9 Senior Lifeguards I know of trying to get into that program as well. It has a reputation of being a very good program. Thank you so much for looking into that for me.

@radmedtech, Thank you as well for the idea about the CNA. I had NO idea that the American Red Cross teaches this.

But I also found the CNA program at- North Seattle as well. I took my accounting classes there because I heard such great things about the teacher, and they turned out to be true.

It’s funny where one gets the information one needs to make the next step.

Thank you all.

3 Likes