Time for me to admit I'm truly disabled?

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 11 years ago.

Now, I have a condition in my right arm called frozen shoulder. It isn’t just pain. The shoulder literally won’t move past a certain point. To give you an idea, one possible treatment is to put the patient under anesthesia and try to move the arm for them, but they risk breaking the arm.

Schizophrenia and now one working arm. Sad.

I was awarded disability about a year after I was diagnosed SZ, but I had already gone to vocational rehabilitation and gotten a full time job. I decided to try to work, and I paid the disability back.

I’ve worked many jobs since then, but, my career was often interrupted when my brain dropped out during a medication adjustment. Recently, for instance, I couldn’t swallow my food quickly enough, so my psychiatrist took me off antipsychotics for a few months.

Maybe it is time for me to admit that I’m truly disabled if I’m fired from my current job because it is manual labor and only one of my arms works well.

Schizophrenia and major joint disfunction (only one working arm, the non-dominant one)? If that can’t get me back on SSDI, I’m not sure what will.

Should I give up, or try to keep finding work if I’m fired?

Summary: I’m diagnosed SZ, and now my right arm doesn’t work well. Should I give up and apply for SSDI, or try to keep finding work if I’m fired from my current manual labor?

3 Likes

How did you develop frozen shoulder?

1 Like

I don’t know, and neither do doctors. It is a mysterious condtition. They don’t know if it is caused by underuse, overuse, trauma, or what. That makes it difficult to get worker’s compensation and such

1 Like

I’m on SSDI I tried to work about five times in my career at my old job designing homes…I became suicidal every time I lost my job…so I don’t try to work anymore…sounds like you need disabilty…good luck…youv’e worked so much it might be hard.

2 Likes

Was it hard for you?

I think you would get it.

1 Like

If you can’t work you should definitely get your ssdi. You paid into it all this time so that you could get it when you need it, it’s your money.

2 Likes

no, I didn’t work long enough to lose my disability…sounds like you’ve worked a bunch since diagnosed is why I said that. @Clint

1 Like

Yo what leaf said just chill u earned that money and i wouldnt try to work with one arm. Its enough u got sz and doing hard labor now u pretty much got one arm. I admire your spirit with any choice u make honestly

2 Likes

Why did you have to pay ssdi back?

Because I started working full-time soon after it was awarded.

1 Like

Do you think you can work more than 12 hours per week? If not, you’re probably disabled.

2 Likes

My dad had frozen shoulder and he tried everything under the sun. Creams, ointments, heating pad, ice pad etc and nothing seemed to work until eventually he had to get surgery and after that there was rehabilitation which was painful as well. He eventually got through it but it was hell for him. I’m not trying to scare you but just thought I’d share my experience and hopefully it can help you out. Good luck and hang in there!!!

1 Like

Maybe apply for SSDI and go back to work in the future.

1 Like

My right shoulder was badly frozen with little range of motion about ten years ago. I went to a physical therapist every couple weeks for 6 months. The exercises were painful, but I regained full range of motion in my arm. Then when my left shoulder froze my new doctor would not let me see a physical therapist so I made up my own exercises, because I remembered the basic principles. Whatever you decide to do about work, I recommend physical therapy so you can at least move your arm.

1 Like

Thanks, to everone who posted, for the advice.

I’m now trying to start a business with a relative who has developed a large clientele, and needs a little investment capital.

Even if my brain drops out every few years on medication adjustments, I should be able to come back to work if I’m one of the owners, right?

I know it sounds stubborn to keep trying to work with one good arm and schizophrenia; but, after I thought about it, it may be the opportunity of a lifetime to have a relative with a large clientele who wants me in the business. They say my arm won’t be a problem.

Thanks again.

Scratch that. I don’t think the business idea is going to work out. I may end up on disability.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.