Schizophrenia.com

Thyroid Functions and Bipolar Affective Disorder

Accumulating evidence suggests that hypothalamo-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis dysfunction is relevant to the pathophysiology and clinical course of bipolar affective disorder. Hypothyroidism, either overt or more commonly subclinical, appears to the commonest abnormality found in bipolar disorder. The prevalence of thyroid dysfunction is also likely to be greater among patients with rapid cycling and other refractory forms of the disorder. Lithium-treatment has potent antithyroid effects and can induce hypothyroidism or exacerbate a preexisting hypothyroid state. Even minor perturbations of the HPT axis may affect the outcome of bipolar disorder, necessitating careful monitoring of thyroid functions of patients on treatment. Supplementation with high dose thyroxine can be considered in some patients with treatment-refractory bipolar disorder. Neurotransmitter, neuroimaging, and genetic studies have begun to provide clues, which could lead to an improved understanding of the thyroid-bipolar disorder connection, and more optimal ways of managing this potentially disabling condition.

1 Like

Hi goggles, I have the ultra rapid form of bipolar disorder / SZA I also took lithium in my past for years, it caused me to have Hypothyroidism - when I got off of the lithium it disappeared

0 Likes

Hi Wave, I was thinking about you when I post.

When I was a child, my family doctor suspected hypothyroidism in me. But it wasn’t overt enough the doctor only told my mom to feed me with more fish. I was suspected of iodine deficiency and was put on vitamin B complex supplement.  Looking back I was much better when put on the vitamin B complex. All my life I love seaweed and I crave for salts. And I know I have issues with metabolism. I haven’t read about thyroid problems contributing to brain fog, cognitive impairments and mental disorders until recently. And I developed a lot more symptoms of hypothyroidism after receiving antipsychotics, that are difficult to explain without considering thyroid abnormality. I don’t know if they are simply progression of the problems or effects of drugs such as brominization.

My emotional and cognitive impairments look very biological to me. There are no reasons to be so sensitive. I wish you could look at the list of symptoms of a thyroid dysfunction again. In some list there are 300 of them included. There are potentials to a much better management of our mental health conditions and physical conditions in this perspective. I actually find different reports of treating schizophrenics or other mental health patients efficaciously with nutritional and thyroid supplements. Positive results are noted even when the patients did not meet their lab requirements of thyroid disorder.

There are medical attention on subclinical case of thyroid problems, or inadequacies in lab tests. I wish you can keep looking and find the right treatment. In my opinion, anti-depressant and anti-psychotics are not the answer. You deserve a better resolution.

2 Likes

Yeah I did a lot of research on Thyroid issues when the lithium messed up my thyroid functioning. What you posted can benefit many people - thanks for posting this goggles

1 Like

0 Likes