Threw up meds?

Stay away from it and from other drugs if you want to get better, they worsen sz. Also keep taking your meds everyday using an alarm on your phone. Maybe an injection of another med is best for you, of a med where you dont have to eat with it.

1 Like

Yeah I agree there. I’m at least taking a break because I was neglecting my self care and cleaning and just getting high all day to cope. I’m not proud of it but it is what it is for now. I can’t afford any right now anyways so really I’m ok with it. I think I need an injectable or at least a med I can take on an empty stomach because I’ve been struggling with absolutely no motivation to eat

3 Likes

One thing that helps me out there is keeping Ensure on hand. It’s a meal replacement supplementation drink. We started buying them for Starlet, because he had such a long history of starvation he wasn’t comfortable eating every day. And then I discovered they are super helpful for me when I get into a mood where nothing looks good. You can drink the whole thing in like 3 gulps and then go about your day. They have enough vitamins/protein/carbs to get you through til the next meal time.

As a side note, you can mix an ensure into pancake mix to make delicious tasting pancakes with an added health boost.

4 Likes

Oh wow I forgot about ensure. I’ll ask my fiance to pick some up on her way home from work

3 Likes

If you can afford it, I have also had a lot of success with what I call hand fruit. Clementines, bananas, cherry tomatoes, grapes, apples, etc. Any fruit that can sit on the counter in plain sight, and takes less than 3 steps to eat. If I am starving, but can’t bring myself to prepare a meal, I just grab a fruit at random and start eating. Then, if nothing else, I can be like “I ate something with vitamins in it today.”

2 Likes

I do that with gurkins.
I get a bag of them at the local market, and keep them in plain sight so I can Munch one if I need to eat something low-effort

2 Likes

I have food stamps, and I didn’t know I had it because my mail was super messed up for months so now I have like $900 in food stamps that doesn’t expire for maybe 6 months now. So I can afford whatever food I want right now from the store, lol, so I’ll try that. I’ve just been eating a lot of grab and go junk food and it doesn’t help me feel better

2 Likes

Baby food pouches are also super great for this purpose. Loads of tasty fruit/veggie combos that are shelf stable and require minimal effort. They even make some for adults now. I do NOT recommend dried fruit because if you mindlessly eat a ton of dried fruit, then drink a glass of water, it will all expand and make you sick.

2 Likes

I like the taste of dried fruit but not the texture, gross. What kind of baby food pouches do you like? my fiance is going to the grocery store so this is gold. i just wasn’t going to get anything but the ensure

1 Like

beechnut pouches are cheapest, they have fruit and yogurt or mixed fruit flavors. Happy Baby is the tastiest, but more expensive. Plum brand is really good. Store-brand applesauce pouches are in the canned fruit aisle, not the baby aisle, but they are cheaper. They have more preservatives and sugar, though, and are just apples.

1 Like

If you have a dollar general or other discount store near you, they will frequently have pouches on sale for like 70% off when they are within a month of their expiration date.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you!

2 Likes

Yeah. Another thing we had to do with Starlet was keep food stations all over the house. There’s a basket with snacks in the kitchen, one in his bedroom, one in the study, and a lunch box in my car. That way, if he is hyperfixating on something and suddenly gets a hunger cue, he doesn’t have to think. He can just reach over to the nearest basket and grab a snack.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry he starved like that. That’s just awful. I’m glad he has you to take care of him

3 Likes

He’s doing much better now. Finally starting puberty in earnest, so he comes home and just inhales food until practice, then comes home from practice and inhales food until bedtime. It is a nice change after we struggled for so long to get him to eat even one full meal a day.

3 Likes

You said hyperfixation, does he have adhd?

That’s his diagnosis. Truthfully, the effects of prolonged trauma on the brain are so similar to ADHD that it’s hard to tell which it is.

2 Likes

Indeed, but adhd is really common too.

1 Like

It is, but very often, kids in foster care get slapped with alphabet soup diagnoses for simply displaying symptoms of trauma. For a number of reasons that are very frustrating and off topic

3 Likes

Oh gotcha, I forgot you adopted, I want to adopt when I can financially and mentally handle it.

1 Like