Three-quarters(non ill people) would be unable to marry, someone with schizophrenia

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/070674370104600304

Are you in a relationship with someone who isn’t mentally ill?

• In relationship with mentally ill
  • In reltionship with non mentally ill
  • Not in relationship with anyone

0 voters

1 Like

Something bugging me about this. Doesn’t seem to make sense after reading the poll a couple of times.

I think it’s amazing that 25% of non mentally ill people would be willing to marry people with schizophrenia. That’s far more than I would have thought.

2 Likes

Mr. Star has PTSD and autism. Autism isn’t a mental illness, but it’s sure not neurotypical, so I figured mentally ill fits best out of the choices provided. Our PTSD symptoms are very similar, so we can help each other through them. It works really well. Our areas of functioning and areas of struggle compliment each other really well. So I can handle all the social stuff, and explain human behavior to him, and he can remind me of my calming techniques and help me level out.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @Ninjastar. Glad you guys found each other.

2 Likes

How am I supposed to go dating if at least 3 out of 4 of my dates will fail?

1 Like

25% is good. I married a neurotypical girl but we all have some baggage. I think she was crazier than me to be honest which is why it didn’t work out.

Don’t give up hope! A quarter is pretty darned good and nothing to be concerned about!

1 Like

My partner has generalised anxiety disorder with a tendency toward hyperchondriasis. He is travelling very well at the moment, but he’s definitely had his bad days.

1 Like

My wife has been seeing therapists since her teens and has been diagnosed with GAD along with depression at some points and been on medications for those. I am usually the steady mind in the relationship except for when I lose it. I put her down as not mentally ill as she’s taking no medication right now, though I think she could use some

1 Like

There is a 1 out of 4 chance it will work! Just try it out and see :))

2 Likes

I said in relationship with someone who is mentally ill because my wife watches horrible shows like “Murder She Wrote” and “Clash of the Collectables” on Netflix.

:blush:

2 Likes

My wife had a history of reactive depression.

1 Like

Some non-mentally ill people are really empathetic. There are really people out there who can’t handle neurotypals. Sometimes I have the feeling some of these people live in a state of denial, but it’s okay if they choose not to relate with me.

1 Like

My husband has generalized anxiety disorder. His anxiety is pretty severe.

1 Like

Honestly, all but one of your dates will eventually fail. But it only needs to work that one time.

3 Likes

My boyfriend doesn’t know about my illness yet. I’m waiting until we’ve dated a year so he can see for himself that I’m stable before making judgments. I have a weird situation because our friend that set us up together also has schizoaffective but she is highly unstable and relied on him during a lot of her episodes. One of the reasons I was so impressed with him is how supportive he was to her and seemed to handle the psychosis so well.

Then he confided in me on one of our earliest dates that he didn’t think he could date someone with schizoaffective due to how exhausting and intense my friend’s frequent episodes were. It really hurt my feelings and was what lead to my decision not to tell him until he can see that I’m stable and that not all people with sza are the same. I told my friend about it and she was very hurt as well and he ended up apologizing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.