This will be of interest to those with Treatment Resistant Depression

2 Likes

I’m honestly really skeptical of this.
But if it helps people with severe, treatment-resistant depression and doesn’t have extreme side-effects I’m not going to be against it.

1 Like

What exactly do they implant into the brain to help with depression and how does it work on depression

1 Like

From the article…

Instead of applying the same brain stimulation treatment for everyone, the researchers manually tracked where Sarah’s depression was appearing in the brain. They identified a biomarker – in this case, a specific pattern of brainwaves – which has not been identified in major depressive disorder before, and used it to personalize the machine to only stimulate when and where the biomarker was expressed.

The team put one electrode lead into the brain area where the biomarker was found, and a second where Sarah’s ‘depression circuit’ was. The best location for symptom relief took some time to figure out; once it was inserted, the first lead would detect the biomarker, and the second lead would produce a tiny amount of electricity for six seconds deep in the brain region.

4 Likes

It’s new and this is a case study of 1, some woman named Sarah. They need to successfully try this on a bunch of people before it can be declared a treatment for the masses. I’d also like to know if there are any long term side effects. But it shows promise…

@everhopeful posted this already @Headspark

2 Likes

oh, okay, thanks @Wave

I guess the mods can close this thread if they want.

1 Like

Like I said in the previous thread.
There’s no way I would get a brain implant.
Lamictal is working fine.

2 Likes

Then all schizophrenics would dig the chip out with screw driver…

1 Like

this is the thing that makes me concerned.

on pioneering treatments

however, some cases may be severe enough for the patient to think it is worth to give it a shot and take the risk

1 Like

Yeah, the article says they zapped her brain for 6 seconds with electricy. I wonder if doing that over and over again is damaging in the long term. Time will tell. I’m not depressed so I won’t be the guinea pig, but I guess if you are desperate enough the risk may be worth the reward.

1 Like

It’s the method and the crudeness of the technology that I’m skeptical of. I do not really see this becoming a successful technology for the masses. I think it’s more like lobotomy version 2.