This warehouse job is kicking my butt

To keep the job I need to meet quota, which means scanning 2400 books per day.( Not every book that comes through is scanned) The first full day of work I scanned 1,900, which made it seem like I was on track to eventually meet quota wihtin the next few days even. Today I scanned 1,500 books. I don’t know what happened. After six hours i think I ran out of energy, plain and simple.

Physically my butt is being kicked, mostly because of my back condition which leads to chronic back pain.

I’m just worried I signed up for too much. 8 hours of standing, tossing, lifting, scanning, it all makes me sore as f***.

When I started my job (housekeeper), I was sore for two weeks getting used to all the bending, lifting, pushing, pulling. Now I’m used to doing it and it doesn’t bother me (except in the morning after work, I wake up and my hands are stiff).

2 Likes

can you still get the grocery job? this warehouse job sounds like when I worked for ups… I worked 5 hours in the morning unloading multiple trailers worth of boxes onto a conveyor belt to be loaded on the package vans… and then at night I worked 4 hours unloading package vans and stacking the boxes onto a trailer… I made it 6 months… if they had let me fill out the computer paper work for international packages like I was supposed to I would have stayed…

I can do jobs moving around, but standing for 8 hours scanning books with my bad back would kill me

1 Like

I’m gonna start applying to other jobs. For now I’ll have to just get more sleep and try harder.

2 Likes

Well done for doing as many as you have though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep your head up man, I believe you can do it,

I completely understand being down about not making quota,
But you got this nomad, put your first foot forward and prove yourself wrong,
Having a job with this illness is already in a very higher percentile of people,
You got this man, tomorrow is another day.

1 Like

For how long have you been at this job now?

Today was my third day, second full day.

Do your supervisors seem very concerned that you are not meeting quota yet? It just seems awfully early in your employment.

They don’t seem concerned. They were happy about the first day. Today they told me i was having a bad day but im still in training and they acknowledged that.

3 Likes

Props to @Nomad for going for it. Proud of ya.

:heart:

3 Likes

I would see how it’s going in a month or so. If it’s still hard, I would start looking around for another position. Maybe the grocery store job will still be available. There’s no shame in quitting if it’s simply too much for you. Don’t set yourself up for long-term misery. But then again, maybe the work will get easier with time.

1 Like