Thinking of going back to nursing school

Now that my anxiety is better and my cognition has improved.

I’ve already completed about 3/4 of a degree already.

I’m a little worried though about being almost 40 with a back injury. Plus I know a lot of nurses are overworked and hate their jobs.

I do like biology, health sciences, and medicine. And I desperately need a higher income.

I don’t know. Just started thinking about it last night.

7 Likes

What type of nursing is it for?

1 Like

What about radiology therapist or sonographer or something?

2 Likes

It’s a 2-year associates degree in general nursing.

I would think about doing a BSN (bachelors degree) if I can transfer gen ed credits from the BA I already have. I guess it depends on time and money. My first priority would be getting in the work force.

Not sure what specialty I would like. I think it would be neat to be a traveling nurse.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about that before. You can certainly make a decent living on some of those wages.

I don’t know if I’d enjoy it as much though, given the narrower scope. But it’s possible it could be a better option for me, given my physical limitations. It would probably be less stressful as well.

Also, those programs are super competitive!

I was hoping with all the nursing credits and classes I already have under my belt, getting back into a nursing program would be easier.

2 Likes

@Anna did you do an associates or a bachelors in nursing?

I would definitely go back and finish your degree. 40 is very young. I was going to get a 2nd degree in it around 50 and should have. You have so little left to finish. Most heavy work isn’t done by nurses. Orderlies and nursing assistants.

2 Likes

You could get your nurse degree then work at a clinic? Then you don’t have to do 12 hour shifts at hospital. Maybe that will be better for you

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement @anon6551389.

That’s a good point about nursing assistants.

Yeah, I was thinking I might not be suited for 12-hour hospital shifts.

I would hate to do all that work only to be crushed by the hard reality of the actual job.

That’s a good idea.

2 Likes

My gf is going into nursing. I suggested clinic or community health or public health nursing. For that reason,to not get crushed by the job.
I think burnout is higher in the hospital setting. So you just do what is best for you.
You can do it! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks!

I am worried that in order to find something less grueling, I’ll be required to “pay my dues” so to speak. Don’t get me wrong, I am very hardworking and don’t want to come off as entitled, but what I could do at 20 years old is very different than what I can do now, pushing 40.

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea, especially when you have done most of the work already. And it’s a very noble profession, and nurses are already in a high demand and expected to rise in the future.

It will be real easy to get a job. Part time also. You could even move if you like. There are a lot of countries short on nurses.

Here in Norway they were recently debating wheter to draft young people as orderlies and assistant nurses for a period of time like they do the army, because the demand is so high that they are really struggling to get enough manpower.

If I wanted a job that would be the education to take. Unfortunatly I have always become ill at ease around injured people and it has not improved with age, so I don’t think I would do good as a healthcare provider, but I wish I could.

1 Like

I sometimes don’t know why I don’t do an easier degree but then I see it as pointless or worthless. I’m not the same man I used to be before schizophrenia. I’m like a 1/50th of the man I used to be. I honestly am more interested in mathematics than computer science but CS is cool too especially algorithms and data structures and stuff. That’s where the jobs are. CS is a weakness of mine. Probably just as weak or weaker than physics right now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.