Schizophrenia.com

Things not looking good for my long term health

at the health clinic today they made me fill out a form with family medical history

maternal grandmother skin cancer
paternal grandmother alzheimer’s
maternal grandfather type 1 diabetes
paternal grandfather cancer
mom high blood pressure
dad high cholesterol.

getting old is for the birds, i don’t want to spend my life in doctor’s offices, i hate the doctor.

3 Likes

That’s all that counts, and that’s not so bad. I wouldn’t worry about grandparents.

1 Like

I can understand that. I have a bad family history too. I just try not to think about it

1 Like

Mom- heart disease, stroke, neurofibromatosis, cancer
Dad- heart disease
Sister- heart disease, neurofibromatosis, brain cancer, stroke
Brother- neurofibromatosis
Brother- neurofibromatosis, brain cancer

Neurofibromatosis is a genetic disease that runs in my family. It often causes brain cancer and other cancers. I’m very blessed in that I don’t have it.

1 Like

I think that’s the disease that the “Elephant Man” suffered with.
It can be deforming.

1 Like

I’m not much better off, which is why I quit drinking, smoking, weed and eat healthier. I just need to exercise but my blood work, weight and mental health is currently good so i haven’t made it a priority…I use to walk my dog everyday but for some reason he won’t walk anymore so I’ve been sedentary for about a year now. I do get some exercise at work though so at least that is something…

1. Mom cancer
  2. Maternal grandmother Alzheimer’s
  3. Maternal grandfather cancer
  4. Father heart attack, diabetes, high cholesterol
  5. Paternal grandmother had quadruple bypass surgery to avoid heart attack, plus diabetes
  6. Paternal grandfather heart attack

The one that scares me the most is developing Alzheimer’s

1 Like

Me as well. Both my grandparents on my fathers side had Alzheimer’s.
It does no good worrying about it though, so I try not to consider the possibility too often.

2 Likes

I was told not to expect much past forty and I’m fifty-two now. Just do what you can and don’t worry about what is beyond your control. Things often work out better than expected.

2 Likes

You’re right @Wave. You always impress me with your intelligence.

There are different forms of NF. Some people form growths and tumors on their outer body, like Elephant man. And others form them on the inside of their bodies. Like my family. Still others are like both.

2 Likes

Cancer genes run strong in my family.

1 Like