There has been a consistent increase in atypical antipsychotic prescribing compared to typical, despite evidence showing that neither class is superior

I never knew this. I’ve always been on the atypicals and never tried the typicals. Does anyone know if the newer batch of meds are superior? That would be nice. So there hasn’t been an improvement in a really long time?

3 Likes

I always forget which one is one
Atipicals are the older one?

1 Like

Image result for atypical antipsychotics
www.uspharmacist.com

Atypical Antipsychotics , or Second Generation Antipsychotic Drugs. These new medications were approved for use in the 1990s. Clozapine, asenapine, olanzapine, quetiapine, paliperidone, risperidone, sertindole, ziprasidone, zotepine, and aripiprazole are atypical antipsychotic drugs.

3 Likes

Older ones cause more extrapyramidal side effects I think, while atypicals cause more metabolic things like weight gain. I’ve been on a lot of atypicals but only one typical called haldol. I’ve also been on clozaril but I’m not sure what category it belongs to.

2 Likes

I stay old school on my Haldol because it’s weight neutral and I can combat the side effects I get, of insomnia and constipation.

Every atypical I tried caused severe weight gain. Abilify took me over 300 pounds. Deal breaker.

1 Like

Well atypicals are very significantly less likely to cause TD so uh that’s a benefit in my opinion.

But efficacy wise no they haven’t really improved.

3 Likes

Is it really weight neutral? When I think of typicals I think of packing on lbs but if it’s good for weight I’d try it out. My pdoc recommended it once.

After risperidone made me gain 40 lbs I made a new rule where if any med caused 5 lbs weight gain in 1 week I would quit it then and there. Because if it’s causing 5 lbs in 1 week think that’s 20 lbs a month. Nope. Helped stop a lot of potential damage I think.

1 Like

Anna, I’ve been on 30 mg of Haldol for three years. I’ve maintained my weight for the past two,and was losing my Abilify weight prior to that. As always, the warning is that everyone’s different and reacts differently. I am still overweight and I firmly attribute it to atypicals. My eating patterns are not bad.

That’s a good rule. Unfortunately for me, I gained an average of 90 pounds and let it get totally out of hand before switching meds. I wish Zyprexa didn’t make me gain so much, it was a good med otherwise. Geodon had the short half life issue and Abilify made me anxious so I didn’t cry when I switched off those.

1 Like

I took haldol in 1993 without taking benztropine because I wanted to limit the number of drugs I took and got a full effect of involuntary neck muscle movements which were a terrible nightmare. I couldn’t bring myself to like the drug unfortunately because of that effect. I was glad that the atypicals didn’t do that and liked the improvement in voices the atypicals gave but didn’t like the weight gain and the price. I take the typical loxapine and the atypical invega now. I have accepted the weight gain as the price for comfort. I think invega works better than haldol did but I must admit that the fact it doesn’t completely rid me of the voices makes me sometimes wonder if I could go back. But on another thread I noticed a report that they just jacked the price of haldol up. Oh well. Such is life.

1 Like

That was me talking about them jacking up the price of Haldol - I paid $135 this month vs. $50. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I still get breakthrough voices once or twice a month on Haldol and I am still very paranoid but my pdoc says there’s no drug to target paranoia. It works as well as the atypicals I’ve tried, no better no worse.

1 Like

Thanks, I think it will be my next to try.

1 Like

I started taking antipsychotics in ‘99 and after a few atypical they tried some typicals. It seemed like they kept switching me to different atypicals because so many new, “promising” drugs had come out. At that time it made sense that they thought a newer generation was worth pushing and there was no research to the contrary. I had horrible side effects from typicals so I refused those after the third one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.