There are 400 players in the NBA. Kids have a better chance of becoming a doctor rather than playing in the NBA

Do kids purposely choose careers based on cost versus benefit in terms of materialism? Why is it at all black schools 90 percent of the kids want to play professional basketball versus 10 percent of kids wanting to join the NBA at an all white school? Where do the influences come from?

3 Likes

950,000 doctors in the United States versus 400 people in the NBA

Why is this in “health and recovery” ? :thinking:

1 Like

For people looking into gettin back into careers through recovery. Who am I to argue what that career may be. The conversation is suppose to get people thinking in terms of what influences career decisions ex. race, demographics, media, news, etc…

1 Like

Crap pop culture, I’m sure.

You can earn money in the lower leagues of basketball aswell. Not all doctors are geniuses. Some maybe earn alot. And its peoples decision who they want to be in their lifes . And wbat passions they have

1 Like

Its nothing bad that kids want to be a superstars. I didnt liked basketball when i was kid . So and not attracted to it now aswell. Even its most popular sport here

Obviously, physicians are more important and vital to our society. But basketball is a skill and includes god-given talent/genetics (height, athleticism, jumping ability), whereas medicine is more of a trade (it does require skill, but this can be learned). If someone has the basketball ability to make it to the top, why not pursue those dreams? You can only play basketball at the highest level til you’re ~35-40, but you can practice medicine at a much older age.

1 Like

Its two very different career paths. One is sport and one its medicine. Sport is also required for our health. Watching rises happiness if you enjoy for entertainment and science aswell

Yeah, there’s only one Dr. J.

Sócrates was a physician, a rare achievement for a professional footballer (he held a bachelor’s degree in medicine from the Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto, the medical school of the University of São Paulo).[26] Even rarer is the fact that he earned the degree while concurrently playing professional football. After retiring as a player he practised medicine in Ribeirão Preto.[2]

I moved this to School and Work.

funny i was so delusional i wanted to be in the nba. practiced a good 3 hours every day and all that got me was one division 3 offer, and one look from a local division 2 college. but that’s what i wanted to do and the thought of being a doctor never appealed to me back then and still doesn’t. if i went back to school i would get either a turfgrass management degree or horticulture degree and get a job at a golf course and work my way up to superintendent, which is fancy talk for head greenskeeper.

and just yesterday my dad was saying he talked to some parents whose son is 6’8 and started varsity basketball as a freshmen, they think he is going to be in the nba, i just laughed and said, “maybe college, but when you’re playing against slow white guys, things are a bit easier”

it’s not impossible, but i only know of 1 nba player that has ever came out of our area from my hometowns sports conference, and that was back in the 1940’s when they were wearing chuck taylors lol. no one in the last 70 years haha. odds are he’s not going to make it, but we have produced some good college players over the years. but the kids still have “hoop dreams” haha

i want to say, there is a former american football player that is now a doctor, samari rolle or myron rolle can’t remember his name, he was on cnn doing an interview about covid about 7 months ago. he went back to school and became a doctor after he was retired from the nfl.

I’m sure you remember Aaron Craft, who played hoops at Ohio State. He’s practicing medicine now, I forget what field exactly. But he wanted to wait til his playing days were over, then practice medicine.

1 Like

o cool, yeah i sure do remember aaron craft, he was a good college ball player, point guard right? impressive he was able to become a doctor.

yep, he played point guard. I wanna say he’s studying to become a brain surgeon, but I’m not 100% on that. Anyway, he’s another good example, along with Myron Rolle, of high-level athletes who became doctors

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.