Therapy and sz

Hello guys, I have a question to those who have had some therapeutic input from a psychotherapist. I have heard a theory about development of sz and similar that one has an unmet or frustrated need of acknowledgment. According to that theory sz and similar is a destructive, but still a coping mechanism to deal with being “unknown, unimportant, the one who nobody cares about, invalidated, undermined, rejected etc.” Sz and similar according to that theory is our twisted way of coping to deal with that difficult feelings. Our paranoia gives us the feeling of somehow importance, even though sometimes very destructive, and the comfort that other people and even the whole universe is interested in our small, insignificant lives. I know it sounds harsh, but maybe there is sth on the case… Especially with common grandiose delusions… Has anyone heard of it or even better tried to explore that with their psychotherapist? I somehow can relate to that. Despite how pathetically this sounds :wink:

1 Like

If it makes you feel unique and special then good for you. However, I don’t see it as a positive especially when the symptoms are terrible and sometimes terrifying. I personally don’t think it stems from a need for attention/importance. Causes usually lie in your genes and brain chemicals

2 Likes

I simplified it terribly. What I mean many of us were abused, bullied, neglected etc. Maybe our brain came to conclusion that it is better to live in an illusion than face the facts… I do not deny any neuronal and hormonal changes. But were they a cause or the effect? And defo believe in genetic predispositions. And also like any illness everybody is unique therefore different determinants. That is why I am asking if anyone can relate to that…

1 Like

I personally don’t rationalize the illness with any external factors. I can however say that voices started when I realized smoking was banned on my balcony and I started to hear the neighbors when I would go and smoke in defiance of the ban. So for me perhaps anxiety could have tipped it over the edge

1 Like

I don’t believe in these etiological theories, furthermore I think history proved that it is insane to treat sz with psychotherapy/psychoanalysis.

Thanks for the reply. I have never tried any kind of therapy therefore asking what others think about it. Just looking for something which helps…

I have been in therapy for a long time and have never heard of the theory above. As far as I know SZ is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Therapy can be wonderful, I have been in therapy from 1978 until two years ago. Most of the stuff that happened to me I finally got talked out and finally I have nothing left to talk about. Therapy helped me overcome a lot of things.

1 Like

Thanks @Breeze I have read the above in some book with regard to the origins of mental health problems. Unfortunately I do not remember which one, there have been so many… I do believe that talking things through may bring improvement. I feel like I am bottled up with mixed thoughts and feelings which cannot find the exit. Sometimes I choose the wrong people to talk about it and then it gets even worse… Have a good day!

I have talked to the wrong people before. I suggest you find a therapist that you are comfortable with and start talking. It might take a good year to start talking about real things. One thing about SZ, is that a person cannot process everyday things and thoughts, and there is a need to talk about them to clear your mind. Once, I told everybody what I talked to the therapist about and that was a huge mistake. One day, I told my Mom that I was not going to say what I talked to therapist about. My therapy sessions after that was like a safe haven.

1 Like

Thank you @Breeze I will find a therapist once I can afford it. I tried to get it through the NHS but with no success. There have been so many cuts in the NHS that I believe I am not a priority at the moment… Thanks a lot for your advice to keep my mouth shut. For now I will maybe just use a journal…

It is not, it is only one cause of the psychotic symptoms.

Yes. I can relate to what you’re saying. You have to be pretty important for people to be out to get you. One of the worst feelings in the world is that you just don’t matter. Sz can ameliorate those feelings, but it stops you from resolving those feelings in a constructive way - resolving those feelings by getting a job and raising a family. Those aren’t the only ways to resolve feelings of unimportance and insignificance, but they are the most common. If you can’t work and raise a family maybe you could find an outlet by being creative. There are lots of ways of being creative - anything from a hobby like knitting to writing a novel to painting.

1 Like

Hey @crimby what do you mean by:[quote=“crimby, post:13, topic:85087”]
You have to be pretty important for people to be out to get you.
[/quote]
I do not understand that English expression. Would you be so great to please explain it to me?
The rest what you wrote I so much agree with. That is the whole point isn’t it? Thank you. You are a very wise person. Life, bring it on… :blush:
Wait, I think I know what you mean in the first part. Exactly, this is what I feel may be. I hope since I get it it will be easier to deal with it. Sz and similar may be just another bully “friend” for some. On one hand it helps you but on the other it destroys you at the same time :wink: You are a star! Thanks!

Hey @Lara
Therapy can help, yes, even if you suffer with schizophrenia.
It’s always good to talk to someone professionally.
Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Wave

1 Like