The word "Likewise" (Not very deep)

I really don’t enjoy hearing this word from people. I don’t want to make this a complaint session, no one has said it to me lately, but oh do I loathe this one.

On my last job when my bosses changed, and I knew my time there was limited, my new boss called to “introduce himself”. At the end of the conversation, I said “It was nice to meet you”, which felt a little clumsy because we hadn’t exactly met, and his response to me was “Likewise.”

Maybe I’ve just had a bad experience with this word, or perhaps it truly is a stealthy way of saying FU to people.

likewise was a compliment. It reflects total empathy for whatever was said. I would feel good about it if my new boss said that.

1 Like

My parents were both born in the late 40s. They really hate “no problem”. For some reason. I don’t get it. I’m as Old a soul as they come but no problem is fine with me. I only listen much to music from their generation but have no problem with no problem. They take exception to it every time they get to. I’m a REALLY REALLY open person and Think I’d be accepting of Any slang. I’m way more open minded/accepting/liberal than my parents have ever been so I think I’ll adapt with the times well

Maybe I just don’t hear it enough to know it’s meaning. I think in this context he just wanted to say something really brief. And maybe sarcastic too?

no it’s a non sarcastic phrase…sincere and complimentary.

1 Like

Likewise I agree…haha

1 Like

I guess the context was stressful. I felt pressure to leave, but my folks were persuading me to stay on. It’s one reason I have a big gap on my resume and am having trouble getting back out there.

Maybe you like this better?

1 Like

No that would irk be pretty badly. But yes, that’s how “Likewise” feels when you hear it. Glad you can see my side!

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.