The way people behaved in the past

I was watching Charles Dickens’ “Nicolas Nickleby” on DVD, and I got a strong feeling for what pigs many people were in the past. A place where the people of the day stashed unwanted children is central to this story, and they just terrorized the poor kids who went there. Charlotte Bronte’s “Jane Eyre” also covers some of this territory. I’ve seen other portrayals of some of the brutal institutions in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. People were horrible. So many things went unquestioned that were catastrophically bad. The state of medicine was preposterous. They bled people who had the flu. They thought bleeding people was the cure for everything. I sure am glad I live in modern times. Being a schizophrenia isn’t easy, but I think a lot of people had it much worse in the past.

10 Likes

Yeah, I know what you mean, in some places it was not only legal to beat your wife and children but it was encouraged by society. There’s still some places in India or somewhere where fathers and brothers think they have the right to kill a cheating wife or a sister that sleeps around.

3 Likes

I count my blessings I wasn’t born back when everyone thought mi was possession and schizophrenics were left chained in dungeons.

Psychiatry might have a few skeletons in it’s closet, like how Black revolutionaries and activists were dx’ed in the 60s and 70s to discredit them, but I think it’s come a long way since.

3 Likes

Y’all are making me feel bad.

1 Like

When first joined this site back in 1999 there were a few members who’d come out of long term institutions. It really wasn’t that long ago in the scheme of things. Thorazine didn’t come online in the mainstream till like the 1950’s. I too am glad to live when I have when it comes to my problems.

2 Likes

I think it is mainly in the Mid-East that they do that. Talk about backward. What a miserable life.

yes, I agree…I mentioned living in the modern day was getting me down but that was because of the news of the world…I am lucky I live in today where there is medicine for my illness, a dentist for my teeth and a town I feel happy in.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.