The Problem With Anti-Psychotics:

The problem with anti-psychotic medications is that they don’t cure the delusions. They just put a very heavy blanket overtop of it. But they don’t take care of whatever causes the delusions, and you can still feel them pulsating underneath the blanket. And this blanket weighs you down, makes you feel like a pile of bricks. Like how non-functioning smart phones are referred to as “bricked.” We need more effective medications and more efficient researchers.

5 Likes

They got rid of mine. It took a while to shake off all the remnants, though.

1 Like

I’m glad for you, but they haven’t for me.

1 Like

I’ve heard the goal of treatment is to find an optimal blend of symptoms and sedation.

In my case antipsychotics didn’t help me with the delusions, just as you, but they did wonders helping me slow down my thought process, which was fast and furious and full with intrussive ideas. I believe APs are very helpful in that scenario. Though with the delusions it was a mix of therapy and openly talking with my family and friends and a lot of analytical thinking what helped me erase them. Now I’m very happy with it, since I’ve no delusions.

1 Like

Therapy and critical thinking is what busted most of my delusions. But I never would have been able to see reason if I wasn’t taking antipsychotics. Have you tried CBT or other therapy to address the root cause of your delusions?

1 Like

Further Ryan:
The funny thing is that the positive symptoms like delusions,
for them the meds are supposed to work.
You complain that they don’t work on your positive symptoms.
However, there are many people suffering from cognitive and negative symptoms,
and for them the meds don’t work even “officially”( according to mainstream info)
The bottom line is that we urgently need better meds, for cognition and negatives
and perhaps even for delusions, if you so claim.
@Lexicon

2 Likes

The worst thing on the meds are their side effects. But before we get new meds, science need to find out what a psychosis even is and how it is developed. But I have heard that research for new meds is dead and they mostly gave up on new research :frowning:

That seems unlikely for an illness as severely debilitating as schizophrenia.

APs never stopped my delusional thinking. They took away my paranoia and voices but I still had my beliefs. I feel it’s difficult to medicate away deep seated beliefs. After all, if you have someone who is very religious putting them on meds isn’t just going to make them lose that, why would it be any different for someone with a different set of firmly held beliefs?

3 Likes

Yes but research reached its end right now. To my knowledge there is currently no med research right now regarding AP by the pharma industry. Research is expensive and if it is not paying off financially they stop. Don’t forget there are not many people with psychosis.

Research should be funded and directed by state actors and not for-profit companies
@acbln

Yes absolutely. But the neoliberal states like the USA and many states in Europe don’t invest enough it seems, rather they keep lowering their budgets for research.

That doesn’t seem to be the result of liberal action. Moreso conservative. But maybe idk what “neoliberal” means.

Several new drugs are currently being researched. There is min-101, ITI 007, and another one that starts with S. I can’t remember its name.

They worked for my delusions but I was lucky to get on the right med the first try.

And what kind of drugs? Neuroleptics? This is where they have reached their end as I have heard. A new direction is not in sight. Correct me if I am wrong.

I’m not too sure about the specifics, but they’re supposed to target negative symptoms for the first time ever. @firemonkey would know more.

Neoliberal means for example that the state leaves a lot of its duties to the market because they allegedly can fulfill the needs better. Here in Europe we have seen that dramatically increase the last 20 years with the result of a withdrawal of the state in many places.

1 Like

There are several novel action antipsychotics in the pipeline. There will be news on those in the News section. There is one that is fast tracked by the FDA for treatment resistant schizophrenia in phase 3. Hopefully it will help the sizeable group of people who do not benefit from current APs. There are also several medications in the pipeline for negative and cognitive issues.

Hopefully they work, and the negatives are very serious, but at least we’re not naked outside a hotel setting things on fire, eh?

I agree that government should fund research because individual companies do not have the resources to fund studies that won’t pay off with treatments for 20 or more years. Governments can.

1 Like