The primary function of psychiatry?

i am not one to pat shrinks on the back and say " good job ! ",
but the shrink i have now did not push meds on me, i asked for them and reluctantly she gave me a perscription.
i was impressed with her reluctance.
she was kind and caring , again i was surprised !!
take care

2 Likes

Before I was taking anti-psychotics I was about as likely to challenge society as a clam. Iā€™m more likely to create change now that Iā€™m functional. Thatā€™s just me though, I think.

Is your pdoc aware of that? Perhaps itā€™s time for a med change.

1 Like

lolā€¦20 characters

Thatā€™s societyā€™s function in general - to teach every one to follow the same rules, do the same things, follow the same clockā€¦ To keep itself + millions of people in order. Who needs a bunch of outsiders who see and heart hings that other
people donā€™t, pushing the limits? Even though those same people in quieter times might see things others donā€™t see in a valuable light, by way of their outside position.

I need a shrink to prescribe my meds + listen when I say - I take this + this happens. Not what the book says it should or should not do. Sometimes I have to train them. So far - so good.

1 Like

I would have to say that I have felt very blessed with my sonā€™s pdocs and workers since he has been with me. In his mind they are probably pill pushers but that is not what I see. They work with him to decrease meds. He says I donā€™t want to take__ and they say ok. He stops taking __ and they stop prescribing it. He says I want to decrease _ and they so ok. They can prescribe him 100 pills but they canā€™t make him take them.

Thatā€™s good. People really need to know for themselves by experience why they are taking what they do, and what it was like not taking it. Sometimes it takes a few trials over + over before the person is satisfied.