The potential use of folate and its derivatives in treating psychiatric disorders

5 Likes

I have depression, and tried using 5-MTHF in addition to my escitalopram. I felt much better, but had to stop it, sadly, because I developed a severe rash on the back of my hands. They were hot, dry, and itched, and began to develop small cracks in the skin. I was glad then the rash went away and the backs of my hands were pale again.

I want to try leukovorin, but I’m afraid of getting this … allergic reaction (?) again.

1 Like

I’ve been translating this related review and meta-analysis into Russian, but it’s only related to autism, no mention of schizophrenia, and it was written by active proponents of the cerebral folate deficiency-autism link, which may mean it is not completely neutral:

Cerebral Folate Deficiency, Folate Receptor Alpha Autoantibodies and Leucovorin (Folinic Acid) Treatment in Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Once I finish it, I’ll upload the translation on Wikisource, but the translation is a long time away, only 46% complete now.

Maybe I should translate this paper too, since the journal has a good impact factor, and the paper is also under the Creative Commons license. The pictures may also come handy in Wikipedia’s page about cerebral folate deficiency.

2 Likes

Спасибо тебе. У нас в стране я знаю больше психиатров по поводу лечения, к сожеленнию. Россия когда ты возьмешся за эту проблему, почему нашему государству все ровно. Я не понимаю этого.

1 Like