The positive dimension of schizotypy is associated with a reduced attenuation and precision of self-generated touch

# The positive dimension of schizotypy is associated with a reduced attenuation and precision of self-generated touch

I came across the article while browsing Twitter, here’s a post by one of the authors:

We show that attenuation and precision of self-generated touch is reduced in healthy individuals with high positive schizotypal traits. The study was inspired by previous clinical findings showing that patients with schizophrenia attenuate their self-generated tactile sensations less than controls at the behavioral & neural level.

This failure of attenuation was found to be positively correlated with the severity of the patients’ current hallucinations: the more severe the hallucinations, the lower the somatosensory attenuation. We hypothesized that a similar relationship should exist between positive schizotypy and self-generated touch in nonclinical individuals.

We quantified schizotypal traits (SPQ) and the perception of self-generated and externally generated touch in 100 healthy people. Across the entire sample (N=100), we found that the perceived magnitude of self-generated touch was significantly weaker than that of externally generated touch (somatosensory attenuation). No differences in precision between self-generated and external touch.

We observed a negative correlation between somatosensory attenuation and schizotypal traits, which was driven by the positive dimension of schizotypy: higher positive schizotypal traits → lower somatosensory attenuation. Positive schizotypy was a significant negative regressor on somatosensory attenuation but neither the negative, nor the disorganized dimensions of schizotypy were significant regressors.

We also observed a negative correlation between the precision of self-generated touch and positive schizotypal traits: higher positive schizotypal traits → lower precision of self-generated touch. No significant effects for external touch, negative&disorganized schizotypy. We obtained the same results also when we treated schizotypy as a categorical variable (low, medium, high).

Our results with healthy individuals mirror the previous clinical findings of reduced somatosensory attenuation in patients with schizophrenia, emphasize the role of positive schizotypal traits, and support the view that self-disorders lie at the core of the schizophrenia.

Interesting, i’m schizotypal and all my life i have had troubles with ipseity and self disturbances. I don’t know if i have any reduced somatosensory attenuation, but it might be such a deeply engraved lack, that i don’t experience it. It is just the way i am?

Do you @CopperKettle have schizotypy / Schizotypal disorder? I thought i was the only one on the forum.

1 Like

No, I have only depression. My uncle had schizophrenia.