The perfect drug

Whats the perfect drug for different diagnoses?

Anxiety med - which ?

Antipsychotic med - which ?

Bipolar med - which med ?

Depression med - which med ?

You can comment the one you think is perfect.

2 Likes

There isnt a perfect med for everyone, different ppl get different side effects or it may not work for their psychosis etc

4 Likes

My wonder med has been abilify as AP. Potent and with very few side effects.

Several doctors I saw swear by Venlafaxine as a miracle AD. I took it briefly when I wasn’t depressed and my pdoc refused to issue a prescription when I was. So there goes nothing.

2 Likes

For me so far the best is 6mg Risperdal.

2 Likes

For me so far Abilify worked best as an AP. Like @Aziz said though. You can’t pick one drug and say it is the best for everybody. People react differently to each drug.

3 Likes

What dose of Abilify are you on? I am on 10 mg, I’m considering talking to my doctor about upping it. The problem is, I have to pay for it

2 Likes

I am also on 10mg. I started out on 20mg but I talked my doctor into easing me down to 10mg. I personally like being on the lowest dose that is effective for me and 10mg seems to do the job just fine. Sucks that you have to pay for it. Most of mine is paid for.

2 Likes

So does it get rid of your voices completely?

2 Likes

I’ve never had voices. When I was psychotic I only had delusions and paranoia.

2 Likes

Oh, I see. I guess it’s like comparing apples and oranges. I’m still going to talk to the doc, and I started L-theanine today. I’ve got my fingers crossed

2 Likes

Abilify hasn’t gotten rid of my voices yet, but as far as side effects for myself they are very minimal. I don’t notice anything, to be honest. I’m going to try to up my dose next week

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe Abilify is not strong enough for you either. It’s one of the tamer Ap’s I believe.

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’re right. I’m considering talking to my doctor about combinations as well. I’ve read Rexulti is similar, maybe it would be a match

2 Likes

For me:

Risperdal: Psychosis
Depakote : Bipolar
Klonopin: Anxiety

1 Like

Vraylar is also similar in that those three are partial dopamine agonists.

2 Likes

Okay thanks @Bowens . I sent my doctor an email just now, letting her know I want to talk to her about meds. I’ll bring that one up as well

2 Likes

Ok but I honestly don’t know if one is stronger than the other. They are all three partial dopamine agonists but they may not be the right drugs for you if you are looking for AP strength. I guess that is a discussion for you and your doctor to have. I like to stick with the partial dopamine agonists myself because they are suppose to increase dopamine where it is low as well as blocking it where it needs to be blocked.

3 Likes

Depression: adderall

It’s not for that, but boy did it help! I’m pretty damn addicted to it though. Not on it anymore due to misuse. :cry:

1 Like

Yes but This thread is about personal opinions.

1 Like

Anxiety- Ativan (sadly can’t get it prescribed anymore due to addiction issues)

Antipsychotic- Abilify (of all I’ve tried it’s been the most effective with the least side effects, although I’d like to try Vraylar at some point but my insurance doesn’t cover it)

Bipolar- Abilify (yes it’s a repeat, but this med has helped stabilize my moods pretty damn well)

Depression- Cannot give much input as I have little to no experience with antidepressants. So I guess I’d say Abilify again as it helped stabilize my meds

1 Like