The movie A Beautiful Mind - John Nash

hi Nice Hat.
I had read the book after it came out. Its funny how I had trouble reading back then but if I was searching for “the answer” I could devour thick books. I was so excited when I heard Russell Crowe was going to star. I thought great hope they break the stigma with a sexy schizophrenic! But really in some ways it was so old school treatment, it only reinforced the old stigma.
There were some parts that were spooky, as they got the paranoia right as least for me. The streaming numbers and how the patterns flashed reminded me of the feeling of 'figuring it out" when all the nonsense suddenly makes sense.

Now about MS I got Optic Neuritis where the optic nerve is inflamed and its really scary because vision becomes blurry and doubles up and I get white dots. Just like relapses it is affected by heat and stress. Just like you can use ice packs to help relapses, I wrap a chill pack and place it to cool my eyeballs. Then I can slowly see and the spots go away. I try to be calm about it because stressing about it just makes it worse, just like sz.

1 Like

even though the scenes in the movie didn’t align perfectly to real life psychosis that John Nash had (although only John Nash can know the psychosis he actually had…) I thought the movie did do a good job illustrating what the disease is like

I had a visual hallucination. I saw a dog when I was psychotic. I thought it was very rude of the rest of my family to ignore the old dog. The dog talked to me. It had a bad back.

Also the floor turned into water.

1 Like

Its not that he had imaginary roommates. Its just the film was trying to convey the fact that hearing voices is as real as talking to someone in person. John Nash did not see people but its just conveying the real nature of hearing voices.

The movie was entertaining, but it was inaccurate. Thus it continued the act of keeping others way offtrack as far as properly understanding Schizophrenia goes.

In the world of physics, much is still not understood by a bloody long shot.

The unexplained…

1. Particle/Wave Duality.
  2. Action at a Distance.
  3. Entangled Pairs.
  4. Collapse of the Quantum Wave.
  5. Quantum Erasure.
  6. Delayed Quantum Choice.

Each of these is related to one major component of reality that is not yet included in today’s understanding of reality in the world of physics.

That same component is included in Schizophrenia.

But instead, Schizophrenia is simply classified as the outcome of a mental illness.

Thus in turn, one may as well say that reality is clearly suffering from a mental illness when it exhibits strange inexplicable events such as Particle/Wave Duality, Action at a Distance, Entangled Pairs, Collapse of the Quantum Wave, Quantum Erasure, and Delayed Quantum Choice, etc.

Yet instead, these strange events are simply placed under the title of “Mysteriousness” rather than “Illness”.

1 Like

I enjoyed the movie because of Russell Crowe’s acting. He gave me some alarmingly real ideas of how I might come across to others. Also I liked the score. As for the complaints about it’s being a false picture of schizophrenia, I’m not very optimistic about changing Hollywood’s reliance on stereotypes.

I had read the book when it first came out. The book is fascinating.

I picked up the book at the library today.

I thought the movie did a good job showing what Sz is, it’s that way for me. the people in the movie that he’s appearing to hallucinate, are real people in my world, they’re probably speaking to me normally, but I’m interpreting what they say to mean something different in the plot I’m living in

The movie is highly fictionalized to sell…I don’t even think John Nash recognized the movie when it was released. The movie is probably such a horrible butchering of the truth, it was embarrassing for Mr. Nash. A biographical documentary of John Nash I found actually explains his life in more realistic detail including some good coping information about the schizo – he gave up talking to his stressor/roommate from college who he felt was appearing in hallucination form later in Mr. Nash’s life because his roommate never aged over all the years, John quit talking to/responding to the voices and they quit, and he quit discussing his history so he could finally let it all go. I’ve heard similar stories from other victims of schizo regarding helpful ways to reduce the stress & psychosis symptoms. Mr. Nash never took psych medications after his hospitalization and taught for many decades at Princeton University. I guess it should be mentioned, Mr. Nash chose to show symptoms in public but it would be much more difficult to tell a fake person from real when hallucinating in such realistic ways…

Explained by knowledge of the intelligence by design of the individual quanta…something the researchers usually will not include in their experiments.
They also don’t seem to figure out in erasure that some are mirror quanta that will seem to vanish, while others chose a path…
Collapse is usually simply due to interaction with a material, and perhaps the intelligence just simply doesn’t want to function in the framework of experimentation…
Pairing is a natural phenomenon via consciousness level unseen connection that can cause oneness…even Einstein called it impossible but it happens, so then he thought it was 'spooky" LOL
Not spooky.
They are leaving out the unobservable spiritual/intelligence component which you are not going to detect with equipment, and i would say it’s a failsafe God wove into the smallest elements of Creation for a reason.
Only spiritual people will see it or know it, but since portions of it can’t be measured, only after effects observed, it’s a mystery to physicists…

The Biography is really good, but much more technical and less surreal than the movie.

I never had auditories, except when accompanied by a person that would talk to me occasionally. That was also accompanied with my delusion about the person.
Makes me wonder…

The biography was too difficult for me to read, I had to use dictionary a lot. So that didn’t went very far though maybe in future I’ll try again. …

I have read in wikipedia how in the movie they said he took medicine and got better which was wrong and also some other facts…

anyway I came into this thought or question that “is schizophrenia and mathematical skills related?” It’s hard to believe how far I have made it and that I’m still alive. I am studing in university and guess what? Mathematics. My first year is almost over and it was successful.

Anyone who sufferes from this, having these sympthoms that makes you wanna die… It is possible for you to get better and start to live again (or if not again then atlast- I think the last one is my case)!

Best wishes,
C
:wink:

im currently watching this movie, it seems quite over the top with the visual hallucinations very hollywood…

1 Like

finished the movie. besides the visuals. it was a decent movie. the visuals kinda just resemble the realism of the auditory voices we can hear and how real they can sound.
brought up some painful memories of my own psychosis that just made me feel sick to my stomach.

the parts of his psychosis where he had to be secretive and conceal everything and that he was chosen for covert or special missions and the part where he was trying to protect his wife from parcher those parts reminded me of some of my own experiences.

my first major break i had been writing and writing pages upon pages upon pages and upwards of 50 typed pages over the course of a few days of all the stuff god was telling me about and all the
“plans” etc…

I had to always hide what i was doing because no one was allowed to know about my “missions” (classified)
and i remember getting locked in my room by my parents to keep me from going crazy after i had thrown my brothers dresser and stuff out of his room because everyone would die in that room.

and so im in my room just lying on my bed overwhelmed and God just saying “you passed the test its ok now you saved them from the oppression” and i just kept thinking does working for god have to be this scary and painful?..i couldnt handle it , it was too much.

and the 2nd psychosis i was writing in code with just lines and dots to conceal Gods plans to ensure secrecy and protection. "God (voices) even had me write a note this time explaining that I indeed was NOT SCHIZOPHRENIC , and it kept feeling like i was always being forced to right certain things all capital letters.

those were just a couple pieces that resonated deeply with me in this movie.

gives me the chills.