The modern world makes people mentally ill

While it is still legal to share links, I thought I would share a couple of links:

“How the Modern World Makes Us Mentally Ill”

“Living in America Will Drive You Insane - Literally”

To be clear, I still think America is a great place to live. I haven’t tried living anywhere else, and I don’t intend to. That article makes some good points, though.

5 Likes

I agree with you that life in the US is crazy. People are all mentally ill. There’s hardly a sane one in the entire bunch.

6 Likes

I don’t agree with everything in the article either, but it makes some good points. Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

Um, why would it ever not be legal to share links?

1 Like

Does seem strange.

1 Like

I have a theory/idea/suggestion. Call it what you will. An observation? It’s mine and I have no basis for it, it’s purely speculative. Maybe there’s something to it, maybe not.

Right, so I wonder, with this newly digitized world, is it possible that the recent large rise in autism diagnoses could be linked to this new way the world operates. Hear me out:

We humans go back a long ways in time (relatively speaking). Hunter-gatherers, nomads, stuff like that. I wonder if the overload of the modern world is too much for some people? Not saying they’re weak at all (hell, I myself score highly on the autism spectrum), but I wonder that with all civilization now “offers” us in this “always-on” world, that certain people are simply overloaded? I’m speaking mainly about folks who start showing autism signs after age 7 or so. And they are more grounded in our roots as humans that this new world is so unnatural that the brain can’t handle it and instead of going into overdrive, it compensates in other ways so as to make life more bearable.

Again, not provable, nothing to prop this up on. It just seems that the two line up. Correlation does not equal causation, I get that totally, but is it possible (within reason)?

2 Likes

I think it is possible.

1 Like

I think that social media is to blame for a lot of people being mentally ill. It can cause people to feel a lot of negative emotions, like envy, anger and resentment. Social media is designed to induce negative emotions. So-called “social” media makes a lot of people very anti-social and a lot more, mentally ill.

1 Like

True, but it is a salon link lol.

1 Like

Soulless consumerism driving people insane.

2 Likes

Not sure it’s connected but-

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.