The mind has needs

Duh. I never thought of that before. But it is reasonable to think the mind, like the body, has needs. The first thing that comes to mind is the need to be heard. Also, the need to feel safe. Can you think of more. Maybe the need for do=able work.

2 Likes

Yeah the mind has needs. What about being locked in solitary confinement! That would be hell! No needs met there.

Well, in that case, one would really have to be a friend to the self and reject ideas of punishment.

1 Like

Most people will never be in that situation. But what about being in a mental hospital? The minds needs are not met there. I wonder what would happen if I was homeless. Would I have to live in a mental hospital for endless months waiting for public housing?

What is your present living situation that you might become homeless?

1 Like

I live with my father in public housing. The house is in his name. It’s just a fear of mine and I have been in that situation in the past before I took antipsychotics. At one point my sister, mother and father all had apprehended violence orders against me.

But I get along with my father well now. It’s just a fear I have.

Then what your mind needs now is reassurance that you won’t get violent again. You must talk to your mind and tell yourself that violence is not an option.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not violent anymore. I haven’t had any trouble for the last 3 years I have been on an antipsychotic. I’m on the public housing list now, but it takes forever. I’ve been waiting for a few years now. I’m 24 and I estimate I won’t get a place until I’m 29!

In the meantime, do you have any interests?

1 Like

Yeah. Just basic things like listening to music or playing video games. But the homelessness thing and ending up stuck in a mental hospital is my biggest fear.

A fear stronger than your interests. Where do you live? Can you get disability and find a low rent studio apartment or a room where there’s a common kitchen. Can you cook and take care of yourself?

1 Like

I get disability pension. Years ago I was trying to get private rental, but it was too difficult and you need a rental history. But if I really wanted to and was very persistent I could probably get private rental, but I just don’t have it in me at the moment.

Things are good at the moment living with my father. And I’ll live with him until I get my own public housing place. I have asked the psychiatrist and nurse about it and they said I should live with my father and wait.

A lot of mental people, especially those who are young, could be in this situation.

But yes I would prefer to live in private rental on my own ideally.

Yes I cook for myself and can take care of myself just fine.

Thanks for the advice man. I’m OK, nothing too bad. Just a typical schizophrenic life.

Glad to help. No one said life is easy. But you sound like you’re doing ok.
My computer is acting up so I think I’ll call it a night. Good night.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In Norman Doidge’s book ‘The Brain That Changes Itself’ he says that the brain is more like a living, breathing creature in its own right, with wants and needs and appetites all of its own.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.