The importance of hope

U cant really compare spinal injuries and sz

god gives you a gift but it takes a miracle to make it happen… that’s what i’m told. hope hand off plate eat.

I’m not just talking about spinal injuries, that was a specific example. It’s common scientific knowledge that believing you will improve will actually help you improve. This can even be shown in cases of mental illness where a placebo is provided and the patient is told their symptoms will improve, and they do…though placebo effects are temporary, the hard work that individuals will put in and effort they will make towards their own recovery if they believe they can improve their situation is long lasting.

3 Likes

Yes, very nice and positive post @Anna Hope is essential with any illness. But I feel it’s very essential with sz. It’s easy for us to lose hope. But I think that a good spiritual system, staying away from street drugs, eating healthy (something I need to work on) & like you’ve stated about staying positive all make it possible to lead a fulfilling life.

Take care :v:

Edit: Forgot to add that staying med compliant also leads to a fulfilling life.

1 Like

Hitler gave his people hope in the beginning. Just saying

In short hope only makes me worse. If i never have hope then theres nothing to let me down

Oh come now!

There’s something to what is being said here. It isn’t just that you should hope for something or expect that things will just improve all on it’s own, but that the mechanism behind recovery is something somewhat inexplicable. That is what Anna is trying to point out and trying to encourage us to find it and test it.

“The Mind is everything…” - Buddha

4 Likes

In fact hope goes farther with mental illness then it ever will with spinal cord injuries.

I enjoyed reading your several optimistic posts today, Anna.

1 Like

I believe in having hope. I think pdocs need to update their attitude about sz etc and give a good prognosis from the get go. Mine did, it worked for me. But they’re working against google and sites like this that that accumulate negative prognosis and thinking.

My grandfather fought in WWII. He was hit with a piece of shrapnel from a grenade in the throat thrown by the enemy. He was in PNG fighting the Japanese. He almost died. Luckily penicillin has recently been developed for mass distribution and the hospital he was admitted to had plenty. But Grandad always put his recovery down to one particular doctor who would come see him every day and tell him how much better he was looking (even though he was on death’s door).

My great aunt had a stroke the day she was born which left her with only half a working brain. She went on to get her Masters degree in Library Sciences.

I was sure I put that in there. Oh well…

I included nature (the genes and specific type of SZ that we have) along with medicine.