The house opposite us is on sale for £600,000

And it looks like it needs a heck of a lot of work. I wonder how we gonna afford a property at this rate , especially one that doesn’t need a lot of work.

1 Like

Location Location Location.

If you look into a cheaper area you’ll find more affordable housing.

Not everyone can live in an expensive area and as long as it’s safe I wouldn’t mind living in a cheaper area.

1 Like

I don’t mind living in a cheaper area, however if I move out of London I have a lot to lose. I’d need to find a job there, and then I’d lose my freedom pass which is free to travel around London. Which means I won’t be able to visit home often. But it’s still something to think about I guess.

1 Like

Here it’s the same issue. It’s becoming harder and harder to buy property for young people.

If I succeed in my part-time work I’ll be able to buy a place of my own. Just something simple.

Looking forward to that.

1 Like

how do you know what they’re asking?
it’s a seller’s market here.
people are begging for houses in this town.

2 Likes

When my mum bought a property near us, it was 250,000 that was in 2009. That same property is now over 650,000… It’s insane.

1 Like

I know because they’ve listed it online. On zoopla.co.uk

2 Likes

My folks bought a place in 2002 for 270k now its 1.3m. Rediculousness

2 Likes

With a crisis in the cost of living, a lot of people are going to lose out big time

High cost fuel, electricity, food etc

People on benefits or low income are not going to come out of this well without a serious intervention

2 Likes

In Belgium disability is linked to the cost of living. If the cost of living goes up with more than 2%, the benefits go up with 2%.

Hence there is protection to price increases.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy then. Probably an inflated market. I bought a house in 2004 for $510,000 in Southern California. When the housing market crashed in 2008 it was worth half of that. I sold it in 2015 for $360,000. Now it’s worth about $750,000 though. Eventually they all go up. I would have thrown a lot of money away on it if I had held onto it this long.

My two houses I do have now are going up. In the US it’s a sellers market. People are fighting over houses and paying over asking price but it’s silly to sell because you can’t buy anything else.

2 Likes

I heard that fuel prices in the uk have gone up by 54 percent!!

I know a person or two in UK who do not put heating on now.

And it snowed in the uk yesterday

It’s all so expensive, including the houses.

2 Likes

low income housing I moved us into apartments when they were brand new,
3 bd. 2 bath, $585 a month,
unless I was outta work, or working dirt jobs, and got Section 8.
now it’s $985 a month,
and they’re all run down.
Phil says that was a long time ago,
when we lived there. I guess.
supposed to be low income housing though.

1 Like

We have none of that in the UK.

You’re more likely to lose it than have it go up by 2% or more!

2 Likes

This is the problem.

Everything seems to be getting really expensive, but income is static.

Starting to wish I’d kept my office job

I am going to move to a cheaper area I think

2 Likes

Probably inheritance… seems impossible to work for such amount. Even as a programmer I could not get mortgage. So not sure how others do that, other than having inheritance. I heard I could borrow just 2 or 3 times my salary.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.