The Geek Corner (talk about STEM or other nerdy stuff here)

The place to let your inner nerd be heard

5 Likes

Cool thread Loke! :slight_smile:

I’ve always wanted to learn more about physics.

I took chemistry to get my associates in science degree.

We learned about a lot of cool things near the end of the class.

My textbook even had the chemical equation of the reaction that caused the Chernobyl meltdown. Pretty wild.

5 Likes

I highly recommend checking out open-source textbooks; there’s plenty of good selections to choose from.

3 Likes

I wanted to be a robotic engineer when I was in 4th grade.

3 Likes

If you are into physics or astronomy, check out PBS Space Time on YouTube.

4 Likes

Before that I wanted to be a pilot but I was slow growing up, isolated, had low energy, poor grades, no drive, behavioral problems, low blood pressure, and probably had severe depression growing up from my dad. I had a history. Oh well.

2 Likes

This is what I found by googling open textbook

1 Like

Ooh, Marine Law sounds interesting!

On open-source textbooks, I recommend using OpenStax; they seem to have high quality texts available, and they have a wide range of topics to boot.

3 Likes

My depths of nerdiness go relatively deep. Like right now I’m working on learning Latin by using Great Courses Plus and Wheelock’s Latin book. Just going through basic stuff now. No real conversational vocabulary yet.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Say something thats true in 5minuttes, we will have a discussion

Is 4k technology considered a nerdy topic?

I think in the way distant future a lot of movies will merge with Vr technology.

Sort of like you pay to go to the movies, put on a vr headset, then interact with the movie.

It might even be a merging of videogames and the cinema.

:nerd_face: :cinema:

2 Likes

If only we could have that…super cool

1 Like

Does math count? Its STEM basically

I did some geometry and algebra 2 today

1 Like

Starship 150m hop in the next few days. Can’t wait!!! :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like
1 Like

Yep. Math is the M in STEM. I really liked Trig. Have you done Trig?

I have done trig yeah! I like it, though Calculus is my favorite.

1 Like

Very interesting :thinking:.

1 Like

I took trig as part of my engineering classes when I was studying civil engineering. Never got to delve into Calculus as I didn’t finish my engineering studies but I’m sure it is interesting. I wouldn’t attempt calculus now the way my brain works currently.

What are you in school for? Are you an engineering major?