The G.I. (glycemic index) diet

I’m going to start calorie counting again. But to give me a better chance this time I googled “foods that release their energy slowly”. (So I wouldn’t feel hungry straight away after eating lol)

Then I came across a system called the glycemic index which measures this very thing!

In fact there’s a whole diet system based on it called the G.I. diet.

Anyway I’m going to combine calorie counting with this system and see how far I get this time.

9 Likes

i tried that diet when i was 20 for like a year. i still try to remember to eat bananas and stuff

2 Likes

i cant remember why exactly but low GI foods are really great. i reckon it is to do with the fact that they are associated with good amounts of fibre and not so processed in general.

they allow for a healthy flow of insulin(blood sugar hormone) levels in the blood instead of exhausting the job of the pancreas with massive insulin production.

:upside_down_face: according to the scientific journals

3 Likes

I think food high in fiber have lower glycemic index. Fiber slows down the release of carbs in the blood.

3 Likes

I’m doing the dietarily opposite thing. Loading up on high GI foods, but avoiding fats and sugars.

Kind of like what the “potato diet” is, where a person eats unlimited potatoes but no fat and protein, and loses weight, even without exercise. There are interesting chemical principles at play with that, like how glucose doesn’t become fat for the most part. Only about 2% of non-fructose sources become fat.

2 Likes

I gained 24lbs when I started taking remeron. Sugary stuff. I have to stop sugars, fats,and most of all go walking.cycling.

5 Likes

I haven’t specifically done the GI diet before, but in college I did a high protein low carb diet and it worked. I lost weight doing that. I’ve heard good things about the GI diet too. Good luck!!!

1 Like

glycemic index is not a fad diet it is a tool used by dietitians and doctors to approximate blood glucose levels. the sight you were probably reading just coined it and marketed it that way. if your worried about your blood sugar levels eat fiber with your carbohydrates. it will help to plateau and lessen the spike of the load. think of glycemic index as a marker for nutrient densities of carbohydrates

2 Likes

Yeah I’m eating low GI foods because most of the foods I eat contain higher amounts of fiber.

Believe it or not although I’m limiting certain healthy fats in my diet I am not excluding all fats.

Try following a low carb diet like the Mediterranean diet or try following an anti inflammatory diet.

2 Likes

@everhopeful just go on a diabetic freindly diet that will help most with what you want to acheive

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.