The First Americans – a story of wonderful, uncertain science | Aeon Essays

2 Likes

Saw something about prehistoric cultures that could make thatch-reed rafts that crossed the atlantic…

If you look at the distribution of human beings on remote islands its pretty obvious humans had a good hand at seafaring well before the eurocentric model of discovery

2 Likes

I watched this program on the different island cultures in the South Pacific, and it was fascinating how they had created cultures and adapted to their environments. One island culture had tamed all the eels in the water around them, because the eels also ate all the fetid material around them. Another culture lived in deathly fear of salt water crocodiles, and they tried to handle it by putting patterns of scars on their bodies that were similar to a saltwater crocodile’s scales. One small island housed a culture that was the most densely populated land on the earth, and they all got along fine. They visited the Easter Islands, where some culture had placed all these giant statues of human heads. They said the fauna on this island was once as complex and varied as Darwin’s Galapagos Islands, but the natives wiped it all out.

2 Likes

Is it available on YouTube ?

1 Like

I guess it could be. I saw it on a television channel. I wish I could remember who was behind this story, but I found it very intriguing.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.