The faces we make

So many times in my daily situations I find people reacting negatively to a face I’ve inadvertently been making whilst being lost in my head. Like last night my roommate came home and was stumbling with the key in the lock. I went over to open the door and as I opened it he looked at me and got this really angry look on his face and shouted “I was getting it!” Then rushed past me. I was so confused and a little hurt by this, and became more withdrawn subsequently… Later he said the only reason he got huffy was due to the look I had on my face when I opened the door. I was glad to see him home, I thought I had a welcoming face… I don’t know what my face did to upset him so much so I can’t consciously work on that, and it makes me cry even now as I type this.

How many of you all have negative reactions to the look on your face that you didn’t know you were making?

3 Likes

Me, I unconsciously glare at people sometimes, my sisters will point it out to me and I stop doing it.

1 Like

My sis says I have three looks that my face will sort of stick in.

One is slightly amused when my mouth sticks in a bit of a half smile, not good for sad news, funerals or sick relation.

The second is I look slightly offended or saddened at everything, not good for humorous banter, or off the cuff comments.

The third and more common look on my face is what she calls “slight shock and surprise” I guess I look surprised at a lot of stuff, not good for simple statements, basic questions, or common responses.

I mostly look surprised. Which is why I chose my user name.

2 Likes

I think that maybe a lot of us struggle when it comes to things like facial expression/body language. I know i’ve been hurt when people have taken the wrong conclusion as to my attitude. It’s hard to control things that you are not consciously or deliberately doing.

2 Likes

i avoid eye contact at all cost this can make me look a bit dodgy
people do react like theyre scared when they see me probably just imaginng it tho im 6 foots size 9 feet female lol.

3 Likes

I usually skew to the happy side of facial expressions, but I’ll catch myself looking bored or annoyed. I have that blank stare too.

1 Like

in my head i have a range of facial expressions from happy to sad, but as my wife points out on my actual face i have two expressions;
slightly scary and aloof
and f…scary and aloof.
take care

2 Likes

I spend so much time in my head that I tell those close to me to not rely on my facial expressions as to what it is I’m really thinking.

4 Likes

How can we know what faces we make when there is no mirror to show us? Its something God made us guess. Well it is the other person that will make the face that you make. A reflection type deal. I can feel the muscles in my face but have no idea outside of my face how exactly I look. When I smile then consciously think about it, it feels weird. Raise an eyebrow. Crinkle the forehead.

2 Likes

I can feel as glare on my face. Lowered eyebrows,squinting eyes, frown. I’m not ALWAYS aware I’m doing it but sometimes I am.

1 Like

I know I’ve made a face - I’m not sure what kind - just before someone asks - are you having a bad day. Like I insulted them with it.

2 Likes

Me too. I never know what’s on my face, especially when thinking(lost)

N trouble twice at work bc my voices say nasty things, then I make a disgusted face. They say I look like I’m not happy to be there.

1 Like

People always think I’m either happy or unhappy, but I’m mostly unhappy. I do get the confused look on a lot, which at least keeps the questions down about being unhappy.

1 Like