The Exercise Thread #2

I’m doing 45 mins on the exercise bike.

4 Likes

Cool! Is it countdown timer?

2 Likes

Yes. It is. I’ve done 12 minutes now.

And this forum keeps me entertained!

2 Likes

Ended up running the mower over the lawn. Cold mornings so grass isn’t growing much but took the top off. So got my legs day in but just did one circuit of my exercises with the weights. Squats with the smith machine then some cable exercises and some lunges. 20 minutes which isn’t bad but usually do double that but I’ll take it today. Legs are not my favourite but I got a good go in.

3 Likes

I need to create some space in my small bedroom. So I can do pilates. Sigh. This means tidying up. I crave for the day when things don’t feel so effortful that really shouldn’t be.

4 Likes

Kid wants to train for a four day walk together. It is a yearly huge event. And surrounded by a lot of festivities. For kids his age, it is 30km/day. For 4 days in a row. Which sounds like more than enough to me for a 12 year old boy.

The problem is though, that as an adult woman, I can accompany my kid. But it doesnt count. I need to do 40km/day for me to get the rewards and all.

So kid now wants us to train for the 2024 40km walk. He is fit. I love the idea of doing this together. But I suspect he is overestimating himself (and me :)). We’ll see. I like to walk together the next period.

But does anybody have any kind of insight into walking training? For me. But also for kids? Or exercise for kids in general? Are there any health things to take into account?

The 4Days Marches | the Walk of the World | 4Daagse

3 Likes

Yeah get checked out by your gp that your heart and stuff is all good. Then it’s probably about building up too it. Just start somewhere and try to get over that everyday so routine is key. Start small. Do a thing where it’s like 1 km/mile a day. Do that a couple of days then add half a km/mile to that.

You don’t do it all at once on our meds so it’s a gradual thing. You’ve got to give yourself some time but regular and routine is the key.

4 Likes

Thanks!

I do not use medication, except PRN, so that’s not a problem. But haldol gave me thrombosis last year…and the symptoms returned when I restarted haldol a while back…we quit the med…but the leg still has a bit of edema. Need my GP to do a general health advice. Perhaps I will call the kid’s running club or so…to see if they know about training & kids.

I thought we’d just do long-distance walks regularly. Maybe starting with 10km once a week or so. We are used to walking back and forth to town (5km). But I agree it is better to have a more regular routine with smaller distances.

I’ll try find some desktop app. It’s a good way to have fun together and exercise too…but I need a bit of planning.

4 Likes

It’s so cool that he WANTS to do this long walk challenge. Very healthy hobby indeed. For a kid.

3 Likes

Yes, it is cool. I like that he likes it. And I’m honoured he wants to do it with me - his mum. Still. :slight_smile:

It was a bit of a shared idea, but he was real enthusiastic. He also wants to do running. I was very fit when younger, and his dad did serious thriatlon matches…so it might actually be something he could be good at. I think he takes a lot of pleasure in sports. He does football now already though…so it must not get too much. Rest is important too.

3 Likes

Man… I’m so jealous lol

2 Likes

Damn that’s your garage that’s a sweet setup

2 Likes

21 minute run in the books, feeling healthy.

How’s everyone’s exercising going?

5 Likes

3 Likes

Ive been pacing less. But dieting and i worked out w my medicine ball today

4 Likes

Great job man!

2 Likes

Thanks man! 1515

2 Likes

Just after 9 am and got a 2km jog in. 2.07km in 15, 09 minutes so not the quickest but was going for distance as it’s been a bit since I’ve run consistently. Might see if the weather holds up I might go for a ride later as well. Still planning on some weights too.

4 Likes

Your heart, lungs and brain are thanking you after your jog! I love the health benefits of cardio.

5 Likes

Had my big sister drop through this morning so all my plans went astray. Ended up just jogging as sunday is my weekly start day so saved chest/back with weights for tomorrow. I even had a chocolate biscuit for treat so not a bad thing.

If weather is good then run/bike and weights is on the agenda for tomorrow. This afternoon I am going to ring around and chat to some friends so it’ll be a good partial rest day!

4 Likes