The Effects of Electroconvulsive Therapy Augmentation of Antipsychotic Treatment on Cognitive Functions in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia

CONCLUSIONS:
Notwithstanding some limitations of this study, the combination of ECT and antipsychotics has improved several neurocognitive domains, without evidence of worsening of any cognitive functions.

2 Likes

I like new news on sz…keep sharing andrey … i am just waiting for cure…

The problem is that we read and probably know more than our pdocs do. We keep up with the latest news while they wait for I don’t know exactly what.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly.

I tried to get rTMS, but I don’t qualify. (It’s still considered experimental for sz in the US) but I did get to ask the doctor why it worked. He said “it knocks neurotransmitters loose.” Kind of like kicking your lawnmower if it won’t start? Lol.

In fairness, they don’t know exactly why it works, but the most likely sounding theory is that it (ECT, rTMS, and tDCS) increases neurogenesis and connectivity in the brain.

2 Likes

Isnt it too expensive …
They say the improvement on rtms are very temprorary… when are u getting rtms… .

Yeah it’s very expensive because it’s basically an MRI machine and because you have to get treatments 5 days a week for at least 6 weeks. After that the effects are said to last. Probably not permanently, but for a good while.

I can’t get it because I haven’t failed hard enough on meds. Lol.

1 Like