Schizophrenia.com

The Difficulty With Telling Someone You Have Schizophrenia

2 Likes

We live in a conformist society and anything out of the norm is laughed at and looked down upon.

Take heart safe in the knowledge that conformists live under strict codes and are often oppressed by these rules. They are not free to be their true unique selves and can live a whole life so ashamed of what they truly feel and are that deep down they are miserable.

They may look happy, but it is mostly an act and these masks only saturate their souls in judgement of others while trying to get one up by putting others down.

Once a schizophrenic accepts him/her self and displays it in public in a way they are free. If they can have the insight to know they are ill on top of this then they are freer indeed. Ego demolished, they fear no judgement especially by people who are repressed to just be the same as everyone else when in fact we are all truly unique.

4 Likes

Well said @labratmat !

1 Like

I am really reminded of a story by Eckart Tolle in his book ‘The power of now’.

He tells a story where he was on the tube in London when a lady got on who was speaking to herself. She was conversing out loud about when to get off the tube etc. and was having a complete dialogue with herself.

She got off at the same stop as him and he decided to follow her. It happened to be the same way as he was taking and he listened and watched her. He was surprised that she went into the same university as him.

She was conversing the whole way to herself and then it hit him. We are all like that, it is just that her inner dialogue was vocalised. These same conversations are what we all have in our heads the whole time.

Who are we conversing with? Who are we talking to in our own heads? Who is the I we are talking to?

Aren’t we all this crazy person in our heads? Outside of it it is all conformity.

These are the questions we need to ask ourselves in the path to now, but anyway, the op article reminds of social conformity, ‘madness’ and enlightenment.

It is a great book! Everyone should read it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t tell anyone I have SZA.

This is because people in my part of the world aren’t aware of what it means to have schizophrenia. I don’t know what the reaction would be, because I haven’t told anyone. But, if I were to tell them that I have had voices in my head, they would probably regard me as a nutcase.

I presume in a place like the US people are more enlightened and they are thus more accepting?

1 Like

I mostly dont tell people I have schizoaffective disorder cause they judge the stigma and I instead just say I have bipolar they seem to understand that more

1 Like

I have bipolar disorder and I’ll still experience stigma and a backlash but no where close as to when my diagnosis was schizoaffective disorder.

I can’t imagine the stigma one would experience with a schizophrenia diagnosis.

1 Like

A lot of the times Bipolar Disorder is in fact seen in a positive light, because of the beneficial effects of hypomania. I tell some people in family that I am Bipolar, but it is because they also have bipolar disorder and there is no stigma.

1 Like