The AA Steps, not sure the number

My conscious has been bothering lately. I maybe only been sober four months now (on the 24th). The AA Steps say you need to make amends for past behavior if you can. I don’t have a sponsor or expect to get on soon, so I was going to speak to a psychologist who has substance abuse too. My assigned therapist does have any substance abuse problems.

1 Like

The biggest mistake people make is doing this step way before they’re ready.

3 Likes

Thanks everhopeful. I been having troubling dreams, but can’t really discuss them here. That’s my reason for want to talk to this particular therapist.

1 Like

I guess if I can go in to my clinic tomorrow or Friday maybe I can talk to him.

1 Like

I recommend the book ‘Recovery’ by Russell Brand.

He goes through the steps in a witty, explanatory way.

I enjoyed the book.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

1 Like

It’s step 8. I had to look it up. “Make amends wherever possible unless to do so would harm ourselves or another.” I used to know the steps like the back of my hand.

That’s a tough step, takes a lot of work. Here’s some friendly advice: work the steps in order, don’t skip any and work them thouroughly. You’ll get the best results that way. Remember, you have to be selfish sometimes in the program, you’re working the steps to get back in society and get along with others in a more spiritual way but you’re working them for you too.

3 Likes

Thanks Nick. I appreciate the advice about quitting.

The 12 steps are a process. They can take a long time to accomplish. Don’t be hard on yourself or give up because you’re not ready to complete the next step.

I did my thesis in college on rehabilitation in the drug courts. It takes time and effort to work through the steps. It’s very hard to do. It’s hard work. Everyone’s journey is different.

I think talking to your therapist until you can get a sponsor a great idea.

3 Likes

Thanks @CoCo He’s been clean for something like twelve years I think he said.

1 Like

The therapist I’m assigned to does NOT have substance abuse in her past, but the guy I want to speak to is recovered, if you can say that. He knows where I’m coming from with his own substance abuse problem, years ago now.

1 Like

Congratulations on four months sobriety! I’m still somewhat in recovery from alcohol myself.

1 Like

So you’re not addicted to alcohol? So, who is? I’m confused

1 Like

Thanks. Glad to hear that you are recovering.

1 Like

I’m an alcoholic and addicted. The guy I want to talk to says he is recovered. He’s been clean for over ten years. He was/is addicted to prescription pain pills.

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can ever be “recovered” from addiction. The AA Big Book is filled with stories of people falling back into alcoholism after decades. Maybe it’s different with pain pills.

It’s day by day. I think once you’re an addict you’ll always have that urge. It’s learning to fight those urges

1 Like

Thanks @CoCo 15

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.