Thank goodness for Dollar General!

I found a cute bobble toy for five dollars that was the leg statue lamp the father received in the mail in “a Christmas story”…haha…sent it to my best friend…he will laugh his head off…I try to send him something every Christmas…so all is not lost as far as giving presents…sent out Christmas cards today too.

15 Likes

Love dollar stores too @jukebox!

5 Likes

I am wearing my padded warm socks meant for the house right now…got them in the mail today along with some chocolate, summer sausage, smoked cheddar and crackers, caramel popcorn and lotion and socks for my girlfriend.

5 Likes

I like Dollar General, when I was taking care of a family it was essential in stretching my bucks. I got some good deals there monthly. And it was a little enough store that shopping there didn’t stress me out. And they have they killer hot/sweet pickles that the guys used to put on their peanut butter sandwiches

4 Likes

Great gift @jukebox!!!

2 Likes

I end up only going there to get a specific candy they carry for Kalick’s stocking and Ostara basket. It’s the little gummy lego bricks, never found them anywhere else. A buck fifty a bag, and he gets 5 bags each holiday.

Ours isn’t very well kept, so I stick to Dollar Tree for most stuff.

5 Likes

I like dollar tree too @raelyn218. Some stuff is actually more expensive at Dollar General

2 Likes

Family Dollar is the same way, though Dollar Tree bought out FD years ago.

My mom was a store manager of several different FD when I was a teen. Back then she made 28k a year as store manager. No benefits. They didn’t even get an employee discount, was really sad. Xmas they gave her 200 dollars store credit to use as a “gift” for 10 years of service…

4 Likes

I saw A Christmas Story recently.
Loved it!

4 Likes

Wow. They treat their employees awfully!

They did, this was 2001 when she quit. I was only 16 at the time, there was some unfortunate circumstances surrounding that, so many other things happened that I picked up the slack to support my mom and two younger sisters. I went to high school full time, and worked mcdonald’s full time. And I only made 5.15 an hour back then, so I started to spiral a bit.

Mcd’s treats their managers worse, for the record. I got out of there in 2005 making 7.00 an hour as a 2 year manager if that says anything.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! 7/hr as a manager?! That’s practically criminal! They’re now advertising 10/hr in my area

I got an oven mitt like a few years ago at Dollar Tree. I paid $1 for it. It still works and has no holes in it yet!!! But I wonder if it was made in a sweat shop?

Damn.

They treated me pretty well when I worked at Wendy’s. If they asked me to do a double shift I would get a free meal which was good back then bc I didn’t have money for food. I couldn’t pay my rent and eat too.

1 Like

I haven’t eaten fast food in 20 years because I don’t like it. It would really suck if I had to eat it that often because it’s the only available food. I hope you like Wendy’s or at least that you did when you worked there.

1 Like

Actually Wendy’s serves quality food. I actually didn’t get to eat it often bc I didn’t have any money to eat. I made enough money (barely) to pay rent and utilities and to feed my daughter. If I worked a double shift I got to eat for free. Sometimes I had enough money to eat. Employees paid half for their meals.

1 Like

Half sounds fair, but when you’re working for minimum wage, it’s really not.

1 Like

Nah. And in the winter time your hours get cut. I worked two jobs. Made too much money to get food stamps but not enough to feed myself. Sometimes I’d get lucky and someone would mess up a customer’s order (those had to be thrown away but I snuck them in the back and put the sandwich in my coat pocket and eat it in my break)

Smart thinking @Loke. I’m glad you did that. I mean, you’ve got to eat.

1 Like