Tha Meaningless Of Lyfe (((INSIDE!)))

I would say that real Christians don’t exactly dislike those two things… they put them in their appropriate place.

which is to never marry when youre still a virgin (as apostle paul said in his epistles to the corinthians) and which is to sell everything one has and follow jesus (as in the gospel of matthew)

Just to clarify everyone I am Christian but I’m not a nut and im NOT looking to “save” you.

I Corinthians 7:28 “But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned.”

Matthew 19:21 “Jesus answered, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’”

So, Paul never said that, and Jesus was speaking in context, the context of this specific man. Not every man is this man.

2 Likes

You’ll find most Christians disagree about what exactly Jesus meant there.

concerning sex:

1 Corinthians 7:1 “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman."

1 Corinthians 7:27 “Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.”

1 Corinthians 7:36-38 If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong[b] and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does BETTER.

concerning wealth:
there are a couple of passages in the epistles also which say that aquiring wealth is stupid because here on earth the moths will eat your possession but the treasures in heaven nobody can touch. as for Jesus he was very clear that no rich man can enter heaven. as his famous saying goes: it is as likely for a camel to enter through the eye of a needle than for a RICH MAN to enter heaven. he considered being wealthy as being immoral, because most likely in those days and in the area where Jesus lived people who got wealthy made money by cheating and stealing from the peasants.

religion has never been my guidance in making life decisions. I say follow your intuitions and be happy. The only thing I’ve taken to heart from the bible is treat others the way you want to be treated.

thats because you never witnessed the holy spirit filling your body with joy for praising, giving thanks and praying to god. prior to my schizophrenia i was christian and i had alot of joy just believing in jesus and it also seemed to improve my social life (me being a better and more appealing person) when being a christian. you should give it a try sometime if you can be made to believe it its a real joy.

yeah, my sister tells me the same thing, she’s very religious. But I think this is not for everyone. I have never felt a connection with god or jesus. It’s not something you choose to feel in my opinion.

i really like your sister she seems like a nice lady not just in this case but on other topics youve mentioned.

1 Like

Thank you for brightening my morning. :heart:

1 Like

:smile: :sunflower:

Can Someone Tell Me What 1515 Means (???) ,

Hmm (???) ,

Wha (???) ,

" Be Quiet " - Unknown Author

FINE ,

Shhhh (!!!)

Thats because you have to write at least 15 characters on a reply :smile:

not forbidden

The first sentence says marriage is okay without actually saying it. Why would Paul speak out against divorce if marriage was forbidden?

^I don’t take this literally.

Then that is the context. It doesn’t apply to all wealthy people. Bill Gates saves lives through his money. That’s not immoral.

Proverbs 14:21
It is a sin to belittle one’s neighbor; blessed are those who help the poor.

It is obvious that Paul and most likely Jesus also (there are some passages in Matthew where Jesus says that if you are willing to become an eunuch for the kingdom of god then you should do it) saw that being celebate is better than being in a marriage. because they believed that in this way you are serving God in a more efficient way due to being more focused on him instead of your wife and children.
with money its also clear that jesus didnt tell everyone to be doing their job and earn money no he said that you shouldnt care for wealth because god gives to the birds without them having the need to labor etc.

I agree.

Paul said that if we don’t work, we don’t earn our bread. Jesus taught to pray for our daily bread. I look at the birds analogy differently - I think Jesus is using the bird’s physical food to refer to our spiritual food. “It is God’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom”.

its legit as long as its rational, i believe. also if you work you could give to the poor alot more charity than if you were to sell everything and become poor yourself.

1 Like