“Tell me about your mother”

Do you think Freud was correct in thinking your mother had a lot to do with how you turned out as an adult?

3 Likes

I don’t think Freud was right about anything… :grimacing:

But your parents can have a big part to play in how you turn out.

5 Likes

When you grow up, you turn into your parents. I am my mother a lot of the time.

2 Likes

Hi mom is so smart she managed to teach for over 30 years

3 Likes

I am proud that I inherited my Moms looks and some of her attributes.
But she was overall a better human being than I ever was.
God Bless her.

I love you Mom!

6 Likes

I’m sorry you lost your mom @Wave . That must be so hard on you

2 Likes

Thanks @ZmaGal
Yes, I miss her a lot

3 Likes

I feel like @Wave does, my mother is a selfless person, cares for all life immensly a loving, kind ,caring upon caring, warm human being. The definition of love through her language and mannerisms and all without expectation for a return of love. Absoloutle unconditional love to me (which im lucky enough to expierienc) and my siblings

3 Likes

Your Mom sounds like a wonderful person @anon47167357

1 Like

I’m glad you had such a great mom @anon47167357

1 Like

I couldnt have gotten a better mom, tbh when im on here thats just me, its not a refelction of how she raised me. Its all me on here my mom is a different league and above all petty things. She sees people as loving beings and is pure classy

1 Like

‘Have!’ A great mom. Thanks @ZmaGal!

1 Like

Oh! You still have her? That’s great news!

1 Like

My mother grew kind of bitter towards the end of her life. I think her idea of our family as a solid, upright family - kind of like the pillars of our own little community, was destroyed, and she did not really have anything available to replace that idea. I heard a couple of people remark after my mom and dad got divorced how surprised they were that two such solid people would get a divorce. What my mom found out was nothing new to me. I knew we were a family with a big problem long before she had any notion of that.

oh my mom is my strength , today and back then…she always has wisdom to make life not seem so hard…at times in my life we were distant but that was because of the schizophrenia prodromal years when I isolated…no we are very close and she is very dear to me…I don’t wanna lose my mom !!

Whenever I hear that phrase I think of “Blade Runner”

The correct quote is “Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about…your mother.”

1 Like

I have very mixed feelings about my mother.She was mostly brought up by a her mother, as her father went to do war work in the North of England and had an affair with another woman. She was very intelligent, and got a job at the Foreign office;where my father also worked.

In pictures where she’s holding me as a baby she looks very happy, but over time she became less happy and more and more discontented. Her marriage to my father was not a good one. Over time she began to drink more and more, but still managed to hold down a job as an assistant library manager after she left my father.

The drink made her sharp tongued and somewhat paranoid. She was not a ‘happy drunk’. She could be loving towards me but also would say how I was an awkward baby/toddler/child/teenager etc. I think to some extent I disappointed her. In fact I think I disappointed both my parents to some extent. She vocalised it more though.

Both my brother and thought she had been through a bad experience/some kind of trauma when very young but if she had she never said anything. It would’ve helped to explain the drinking and that to some extent she was psychologically damaged.

She’s been dead 11 years and, though our relationship was far from perfect, I still miss her. For all her faults, and hang ups, I was emotionally closer to her than I’ve ever been to my father

I’m definitely more like her than I am my father.

3 Likes

Fathers also have a lot to do with how we turn out.

2 Likes

I am very much like my father. But when I have to be strict with someone, I hear my mother speaking :sweat_smile:

1 Like

was aware of it, raising my kids, being a strong mother.
Freud made H.D. cry when he asked her going over
to her place, Why don’t you want me?
here she was a lesbian, in a not so nice world.
that made me take a lesser view of him.

1 Like