Tell me about Lithium

I was on lithium for years in the 2000s, prior to being switched to Lamictal. The switch had to do with side effects, which were somewhat tolerable, but also I think the dr switched me partly so I wouldn’t keep needing blood work to monitor my thyroid. I had blood work done every three months while I was on it. I had increased urination and thirst, as well as hand tremors. The dr was able to prescribe me something for the tremors, though; odd that propranolol, an old blood pressure med, was able to control them. Lithium and Lamictal both have worked well for me in terms of blocking mania, but neither seemed to do much for my depression. My current med regimen is Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, and Abilify Maintena.

2 Likes

The pdoc said that if I only take 600mg I’ll just need bloodwork every 6 months

1 Like

How is Abilify Maintena? I asked about it at my last appt because I’m med fatigued and if I could just take one less pill I’d be better.

Well, every six months wouldn’t be so bad. I don’t remember how much I was on.

1 Like

It’s not bad, though I’ve only had two injections of it. I had been on the Aristada shot for months, which is just a slightly different form of aripiprazole. It had to be upped to every three weeks, and I swear the full effects were not even lasting that long, so I asked to be switched. Honestly, I think I did better on Abilify tablets, but it’s too early with the Maintena to say that for sure. I see my dr next week; she may decide to up the frequency on the Maintena or maybe add another drug, but knowing her she’ll probably take more of a wait-and-see approach.

I get the 400 mg Maintena shot.

1 Like

Lithium

Lithium is a chemical ion that is combined with other elements to produce a mood-stabilizer like lithium carbonate. There are several formulations of lithium but all are commonly referred to as simply lithium.

Drowsiness is a common side-effect of lithium which may be worsened by fatigue, another common side-effect. Lithium has also been shown to increase stage 3 (the deepest stage) sleep, and may increase overall sleep time.

http://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/sleep-disorders/impact-of-mood-stabilizers-on-sleep/

I take lithium orotate as opposed to carbonate.
It passes blood/brain barrier easier with no side effects.
On 80 mg a day though my dreams were too vivid.
Life extension occurs at like 2 mg and depending on mood problem severity 20-200 mg a day can be taken.

How did the pdoc appt go?

I saw mine the other day and am on day 2 of lithium. He said its to augment the abilify and combat the side effect of compulsions I’m getting from it.

She took a wait-and-see approach, as I figured she would. I saw my nurse a couple days ago to get my shot; she talked to my dr about the problems I’ve continued to have, and my dr decided to up the frequency of the shot to every three weeks. I don’t expect it to help, really think I need a second AP. I’m starting to worry that I’m never going to get fully back to normal. :confused:

I hope the lithium works out for you.

1 Like

I could see it helping you sleep. My night time dose knocks me out and I sleep well.

Lithium has so far been the most effective medication I’ve used. I have severe depression and it wipes it out. Of course it has side effects. My hair started breaking off but I’m hitting it with a coconut oil slathering twice a week and it seems to be working. My skin is dry. I developed TD but was told that this is not common. It also put my sex drive into a manageable level meaning it probably would have killed a “normal” sex drive.

I prefer the old meds. They have side effects but we know what they are. I think I’ve been on it for about 3.5 years–longer than I’ve tolerated anything.

2 Likes

Lithium also comes in Over The Counter as in Lithium Orotate. My nutritionist wants me to take it because it is good for the brain.

J.