Teeth or house?

I have saved up enough money to get my teeth done and they cost £19,000.

I have a few more thousand in my savings in addition to this.

Would you continue to save for 2 more years to get enough money to buy a cheap house for around £30,000 or get my atrocious teeth done?

I am fed up paying out to a landlord, but my teeth really are horrendous, although I am not in pain they just look bad due to the front teeth being kicked out in an attack and celiac disease wearing away my enamel so attracting tea stains.

What choice would you make? I can’t afford both unless my litecoin cryptocurrency takes off in the next couple of years.

1 Like

I’d buy the cheap house.

1 Like

That sounds expensive. Can you get your teeth done in a cheap country and save money?

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to risk it. And I live in self isolation at present so couldn’t bear the travel.

The dentist does a budget version for £12,000 but still it is not as many teeth or as strong, and it still means waiting loads of years to get a house.

1 Like

Can you afford the upkeep of the house? Can you afford the taxes?

1 Like

We don’t have a property tax in the UK. We actually own our houses and don’t rent from the government.

We pay council tax for services and pay taxes to buy a property but after that we have insurance utilities and upkeep alone.

It is certainly doable.

1 Like

Then I’d get the house

1 Like

It could also be worth to compare dentists in your region. Here there are sometimes large price differences.

1 Like

This is for fixed dentures (that are removable and can be cleaned once a year).

It is for the operation and fixed in a day.

The company is legit, safe and you get what you pay for.

I suppose I could go for regular dentures, but they feel so effing horrible that I haver saved up for years to get these.

1 Like

I think you should travel to Thailand get your teeth done their cheap but they good 2 3k tops n rest put towards a house

1 Like

I vote teeth, because health comes first.

1 Like

House. Definitely. I want my teeth done, too, because they are stained on the inside from medicine, which means no whitener can touch it, but I just bought a house last year. The sooner you buy one, the sooner you keep up with the market. I’ll save up for my teeth later.

1 Like

You can actually get dentures from the NHS for free my dad got them but they won’t pay for implants

1 Like

Yeah, you can. I can’t stand the partial denture I have now for my front teeth since my bridge failed after 16 years.

With those dentures you cover the roof of your mouth, ruining eating texture wise and are messy and to me revolting, which is why i saved up for fixed dentures in the first place.

Thanks though.

That’s true my dad don’t even wear them anymore he says they really uncomfortable

1 Like

I hate going anywhere atm even to go to London to get the teeth done, so will continue to save keeping my options open until I have to do something about my teeth.

Luckily wearing masks is normal these days, so no one can see my teeth anyway.

Fingers crossed for Ltiecoin exploding in value and then problem solved. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I don’t know what the housing market is doing in the UK right now. Here in the US, it is absurd. Houses that are only worth 50k in my area are selling for 90k. Houses that are worth 100k are selling for like 180k. The people who are buying now are headed for disaster, because the market will go back down and they will end up in debt for twice what they could ever sell their house for in the future.

That said, I would say it depends on how much your teeth are currently impacting your quality of life. I ignored my teeth until I had stable, permanent housing. For the past 5 years, I have been in the long process of getting them fixed. Spent about 11k so far, and they’re doing MUCH better. But I don’t think I would have been able to keep up with the hygiene to maintain my teeth after the repair work if I didn’t already have a safe and stable place to live.

2 Likes

UK house prices are stupendously high.

A 30k house would be a small terraced house in a bad area up in the North of the country.

With the current Brexit crisis and the cost of living going up as well as prices it also means inflation. To combat the inflation they will have to raise interest rates and that affects certain types of mortgage which could lead to a housing crash.

The supply of housing being small and tax breaks for landlords has made the market unaffordable to get into if you are young, or even otherwise. When these tax breaks are removed it could help first time buyers but the UK market is over inflated and due for a bust especially with Brexit.

1 Like

Do you currently have stable and sustainable housing?

1 Like

I have a private tenancy which could be ended at any time with a no fault eviction. They put the rent up every year. The rental market is out of control in the South even in this deprived neighbourhood.

Thatcher allowed people to buy their social housing back in the 80’s, so there is now none. None of the subsequent govts replaced it, either from the Labour or Conservatives.

Even though I get housing benefit I still have to pay a top up to the landlord. It is getting out of hand with these increases.

I wouldn’t be able to afford to live here for much longer so a couple of years I ought to try and get a house to move to eventually. So I’ll continue to save and see if my teeth hold out.

1 Like