Teaching piano

I’m considering starting to teach piano again. I used to teach but quit because of my mental health. I’m still struggling a lot but it would help to make money somehow. Just not sure yet, because of an old injury, I can no longer play like I could before. So there’s that. And I’m not feeling confident I’d be good at it anymore.

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea @CoCo

2 Likes

I think you don´t need to play too much while teaching Czerny to kids…

2 Likes

But it helps to demonstrate. A lot of students need a demonstration

1 Like

You can always teach beginners with less complicated music and when they reach high enough pass them on to a more advanced teacher. That is what a lot of violin teachers here do.

2 Likes

Yeah. Not a bad idea @Air

2 Likes

oh this sounds like just the thing for you !! so happy !!

1 Like

We’ll see how it goes. The last student I had would argue with me about what the notes were. She was a kid. She would tell me she was right and I was wrong. I just stopped trying to teach her and gave up. Hopefully, I don’t get more like that. I told her mom what was going on, but nothing changed. It was very frustrating.

1 Like

You could always teach more practical and contemporary things rather than classical piano. I imagine theres loads of young kids who would benefit from learning how to work out songs, how to compose their own tunes etc rather than learning more traditionally.

@CoCo, On The Note of Olde Injuries. Try Thus!.

These Are The Keys !.

I Am Going to Highlight Where You Can Keep Focus!. [] <—Example

Okay!.

[][][] <Like Thus!.. , Thus Focus is Easy And Can Be Mixed.

And Add Some Mixes Slowly But Surely With Your Open Hand On The Other End.

Kinda Like Walking!.

Good Luck!.. . … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, there’s only one way to find out.

3 Likes

My wife and I have been taking piano, voice and guitar lessons via Zoom. We pay $20 for a 30min lesson. Nothing too hard but we still are learning a lot of new things. There may be adults who would like some refresher lessons/music therapy.

I sometimes feel like I get more of an emotional boost from these than going to my therapist/dr.

2 Likes

That’s cool. I don’t want to have to pay for zoom meetings though. But it’s a good idea. How much does it costs to use zoom?

1 Like

I think it’s free… or at least no one’s bothered us about it… we pay our tutor using PayPal for friends/family which is free too if you link it to a checking acct and email… we just PayPal it to her email.

If zoom isn’t free, Skype, Google Meeting, Facebook rooms,whereby.com etc…might work…

The only limitation is that there are slight delays or latencies in broadcasting so it’s not practical to play two instruments in sync.

1 Like

Got it @keepsimple. Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure how piano works, I play guitar.

With guitar IMO all you need is to be a better player than the student. Even I could give guitar lessons to the right people.

1 Like

I have the knowledge and experience to teach. I’m certified by the American Guild of Music to teach. I took a 3 year teaching course through them. My concern is showing the student how to do it. I can teach the lower levels, but I don’t trust myself to teach anything more advanced since I can no longer demonstrate it. I think when covid calms down, I’ll put myself out there to start teaching again. I don’t want to teach a beginner on video. I need to be able to touch their hands, wrists, and elbows. Otherwise, they’ll practice bad technique and it’ll be difficult to correct it later

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.