Schizophrenia.com

TCE exposure

I recently found out that the factory I grew up near is a superfund toxic waste site for TCE (Trichloroethylene). TCE is used as a solvent as well as a dry cleaning agent and I read that there have been a tiny number of studies linking TCE exposure to schizophrenia.

I was wondering if any of you have heard of this before. I am a bit curious on this subject because my family lived very close to the site and my mother became mentally ill in her teenage years which I approximate was about 5 years after this factory was built. My brother and I also came down with schizophrenia in our early 20s. There is not a lot of history of mental illness on my mother’s side of the family although there were stories of one or two individuals who were cousins who had problems. My dad’s side has no schizophrenia history as far as I know.

I am really not looking to start any lawsuits because we also had exposure to other chemicals from my dad’s job as a silk screen printer.

Sometime soon I am going to check out the toxic site’s document repository at the local library and see if there have been any health studies done in my old neighborhood.