Tax Question

@GrayBear, Yes, you now have to file taxes. Even with VA and SSI and SSDI disabilities. The rules have changed.

1 Like

Where are you getting this information? :deer::deer::deer:

1 Like

I got it in the mail from the government.

1 Like

@GrayBear, SSDI is taxable. Service connected VA disability is not taxable.

1 Like

@anon17132524 what do you say about this? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

What did you get in the mail? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

I got help filing my taxes this year. I was not taxed on my ssdi

1 Like

Now I am even more confused. :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

1 Like

If you Google it online. It says what helenback says .that your ssdi has to be over 25000 to be taxable. Not sure about va benefits though. Maybe ginalove gets a high amount for ssdi? Maybe that’s why she pays taxes.

1 Like

My husband and I both have SSDI. We have to file taxes

Because your married and your combined income together is over the limit.

2 Likes

Some of the amounts people get on disability is just ridiculous. Well below the poverty level. It would be even more ridiculous to expect people to pay taxes on it.

2 Likes

I only get 735/mo

Taxes vary greatly from person to person, so my advice is if you’ve received a tax form (such as a SSA-1099) from the IRS, call a reputable tax preparer (H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc.) and ask if you have to file a tax return.

2 Likes

Okay thanks. I did get a SSA-1099. :snail::snail::snail:

1 Like

If you were single you would never pay taxes on your disability.

1 Like

I’ve been getting SSDI for years. It’s never taxed. For anyone who cares, Turbo Tax.com is a free, online, easy way to file taxes. Like people said, you might qualify for things like the EIC credit which gives $300 or $400 dollars to low income people even if you don’t work.

Turbo Tax website will figure out your deductions, and if you go to school it will help you figure out if you get money back for school related expense like books and tuition. If you made any charitable donations during the year you might get a get a little money back for those.

Turbo Tax is a free online service that helps you file both state and federal taxes. But I’ve seen organizations that will help you file your taxes for free in person. In your case if you could find the free live organization tax preparer, you might just walk in and tell them your situation and be out of their in ten minutes if they tell you don’t have to file.

Turbo Tax has a few options when you file. They have the free version but they also offer “deluxe” editions that you probably would never need that cost money. The “deluxe’ edition” offers you stuff like help if you get audited for example and other stuff that are really meant for people who have complex finances.

If you’re low income you do not any services beyond the free version so don’t get sucked into buying anything. Another bonus of Turbo Tax is they get your refund back faster than by mail and they direct deposit it automatically. I filed this year and got my refund in about two weeks.

I have to recommend Turbo Tax; last time I was on Wall Street I bought 2000 shares of Turbo Tax stocks and they make me tell everybody about it.

3 Likes

I got a letter in the mail from H and R Block tax information center.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.